Studio Gems #3: Queen - "The Prophets Song"

This is a song off the “A Night at the Opera” album, but it doesn’t get much attention compared to Bohemian Rhapsody. Any hard core Queen fans are probably familiar with it :slightly_smiling_face:. The story behind the making of it, plus the technical and production aspects, make it very interesting for any Rock fan IMO.

The song and lyrics were inspired by a dream Brian May had, though the story (to me) invokes ancient biblical melodrama themes :cold_sweat:.

The song is about 8 1/2 minutes, and the “Making of” is about 12 minutes. Serious epic geekery, if you have time to explore it.

This “Making of” features commentary by Brian May, Roger Taylor and producer Roy Thomas Baker.
1 Like

God Damn ! That song is a masterpiece! I grew up hearing my older brother playing Queen , RUSH, Zeppelin, Kansas, Aerosmith, and many other great, classic rock bands, so I realize I’m biased towards a lot of that music but there’s quite a few Queen songs that I still don’t like til this very day, but this song is not one of them! This is brilliant !!! I can only imagine the work they put into this beauty.

Now, I will watch the second video, Making Of The Prophet’s Song.

It was fun revisiting it. I had a friend who was a huge Queen fan, and this was back in the mid-70’s when the albums were literally just coming out. He played Queen (I) and Queen II (also Sheer Heart Attack) incessantly, and when A Night at the Opera came out, he went gonzo, played it over and over and over. So that album is burned into my memory for eternity.

1 Like