Simplicity mix bash

I have now given it a mix and “master” and am ready for a bash. Thanks for your time and I am glad that the forum is back up and running.
mix_01

1 Like

Eric, this is pretty outstanding (listening on Sony MD7506 cans). Excellent balance between the vocals, guitar, piano, and their fx. Beautiful sound overall, just gorgeous, splendid performances.

Love how the interest builds with the percussion giving way to more active drums, and I LOVE the bit of arpeggiation that starts with the drums. Really helps propel the groove, and it’s cool how the hi-hat starts doubling it.

If I have one nit to pick, it would be when the snare joins about 4.5 min in, it has just a bit more thwack than I’d expected given the fullness of the kick. There’s a bit of trimming at the start and end to remove some extraneous sounds but that’s it – this is a major winner!!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Dave. So just to check if I am understanding you right.

you are saying I should do a shorter (snappier) snare hit there like if I where to gate it?

You could gate it, but maybe just some EQ would be enough – and rest assured, this is purely a taste thing, and I am way out of practice bashing! :laughing:

Maybe just adding a dB or so in an appropriate frequency (my first step would be to sweep to find if there even is a freq where it’d make a positive difference). Like I said, the most minor of nits, suitable for ignoring entirely :wink:

Cool I will have a look at that. It is a case where that is the snare that is going all the way through and it really has not felt right at the end there but I like it everywhere else so I just got used to it at the end. Sometimes we need a kick in the pants to get things right and that is why I come here for a bashing. I don’t know if I can get it right but this gives me some ideas and I will give it a shot the next time I have the session open. Thanks so much for the boot in the pants.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean about that boot! Fresh ears are always welcome. Good luck!

1 Like

makes me all sad and mellow. I could not hear her good enough for me in the first 1:30 and then could hear her very good. Just these old ears Again at 2:37 background too much for me? The question now facing me is should I even comment on such a caliber song as this?
What a beautiful song man. bigtime congrats

1 Like

that is good to know I will see what I can do. for the first issue you are having, can’t do much about the second. Thanks for the feedback.

I’m listening through my lowly iPad speakers so I’ll just give you my immediate impressions.

I can almost swear I’ve heard this song before. It sounds VERY familiar. Have you posted another mix/ version of this on this site before? Is this a cover song?

There’s a really nice, gentle feel to this song. I like how the acoustic guitars work with the piano. The hi hats……(are those hi hats?) add a nice flavour and I like the way you bring the full drums in and out through some parts of the song. When the sixteenth note hi hats first come in it feels like there’s a slight timing issue but it’s probably not worth mentioning because it’s so subtle….As I listen back again, I think it’s not a timing issue with the music or percussion. It sounds like it’s the vocalist that is dragging slightly behind the beat. It’s probably not so much of a technical flaw as it’s more likely that the vocal drag is the singer consciously or unconsciously creating an “affect” and injecting her expression into her performance. This is probably something most people won’t consciously pick up because of it’s subtlety, and after listening a few more times I think it’s a non-issue.

This sounds really pretty and sweet through my iPad speakers. When I have a chance I’ll give this another listen through a better monitoring set up. Nice work!

1 Like

Hey Eric, I’m really digging this. No real nitpicks from me apart from the noise at the beginning. Great stuff!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback. Yes she sang it like that a couple of times and so I discussed it with her and we decided it was how she wanted it to be so good catch.

Thanks Andrew that is great to hear.

1 Like

Sounds really, really good. I’d be interested to hear the story behind the track, did you write it? The only real issue that stood out to me is that massive kick, which isn’t a bad thing, but in relation to the snare, which is fairly thin by comparison, the two seem a little out of whack, instead of complimeneting each other.
Top job.

1 Like

Thanks Terry.

no this was written by one of my grade 12 students last year and I recorded it for her over the summer.

1 Like