Share your Bass Mixing tips and tricks

The pro mix engineer (Marcella Araica) I had a chance to work with a while back, ran a sub bass channel in mono and low passed it aggressively. She also had a second bass track running parallel compression on a mid bass channel. She would high pass it, then did mid/side eq in full stereo.
Before there were too many plugins to bass boost in 2009, this was the technique she used in this song

1 Like

My method is rather unconventional. My monitors have a manufacture “defect” that causes them to rattle when there is too much going on in the lows. What I started noticing though was that this never occurred when I listed to commercially released music. Even at loud levels. So I’ve since started adjusting bass levels, HPF’s, etc until I don’t get any rattle and I know I’m at least in the ballpark :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Hi Michelle. I am def the least versed in any tricks. One thing I do once in awhile is play a difficult bass track for a song much slower than the original and then use the DAW to speed it up. A track set for say 120 bpm, I will play maybe at 90. then just type in the 120 and bingo. I then send that to a jump drive and import it into the original session. Could do that with a trickly lead part too, but I haven’t tried that yet. Interesting post

1 Like

OMG I actually know what a HPF is???ha ha

I did a whole case study on mixing a song many moons ago.

Here is a link to my bass process at the time:

2 Likes

Oh… forgot about this one - more recent:

2 Likes

I put it through Drum Leveler with some quite aggressive settings. It needs very little compression after that. EQ out any resonance - especially nasty honky mids - then plaster it with stereo chorus.

1 Like