Sewazuki - Original insturmental

I wrote this for summer, but it took too long. I wanted to try more EDM type stuff, but blend it with some instrumental guitar as well. Any feedback on what I can improve or how to get the mix to sound better? Thanks.

4 Likes

listening on monitors now. Sounding great! I love the guitar tones and the dynamic build as the song progresses. Good stuff :slight_smile:

starting from the 1:03 mark, the “hihat(?)” might be a bit loud. Felt like it was drowning out other important parts, but overall I’m digging this!

1 Like

Nice Chandler! Sounding a little “Polyphia”-like, buy with more bite. Great stuff, I dig it!

1 Like

@holster Thanks. I was worried about the hithats. I just made a new version and turned them down a bit.

@ColdRoomStudio Thanks. I was going for that type of modern vibe, but I wanted something a bit more future bass. I tried to add a bit of my own style as well.

4 Likes

Dang you play great! New version is sounding great to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great sounds and playing here @Chandler. I don’t really hear too much of an EDM influence here but that doesn’t matter. I don’t think I’d do as many full stops of the rhythm section as you have but that’s just me, no one else seems to mind that. It is more effective when you fill those gaps with something I think. Other than that this is a great listen.

Could you comment on some of the Melda plugs you’re using or is that covered elsewhere for us?

Good work!

1 Like

@holster Thanks. Maybe I’ll stick with this version then. I was always second guess myself,especially with mixing. I wanted to try something new with this one and try to strech my musical horizons song-wise and guitar-wise. I’m glad to hear someone else thinks it isn’t so bad.

@ingolee Thank you. I was trying to get a future bass or kawaii bass type of feel,but I guess it didn’t really come through.

As for the melda plugins, I’ll do a full breakdown on my channel once I release the song. For now I’ll just give a quick run down. Everything is melda except I used Scalar 2 to voice lead the chords. The drums are MDrummer, but I think the samples I got in some free give away. The bass is a custom sound I made in MSoundfactory. The same goes for the super saw. The pluck sounds come from the “Pluck maker” device in MSF and the piano is Meldway grand I think. All the guitars come from MGuitararchitect, but I don’t think I used any presets. I used MTurbocomp for almost all the compression,but I used Mspectraldynamics to duck the synths while the lead guitar is playing. The reverbs are MTurboreverb. I’m sure I’m missing a few things,but I’m not at my computer right now. I hope that helps. I’ll go over it more thoroughly once I release the sping on my YouTube channel. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

To my ear these styles are much evolved from what I thought of as EDM (I don’t keep up very well) and so I now hear some connection to your work. What I heard on the internet is more pop oriented than your piece which is mellower and more enjoyable. Thanks for trying to keep us at least somewhat up to date! And also the gear description.

1 Like

I almost getting an Andre 3000/The Love Below vibes from the intro, it’s very RnB-ish and i don’t think a hip hop vocal would be out of place over this composition, even in the heavier parts. Did you ever contemplate running with the whole chill RnB vibe and dropping the hard techno kick and trying something a little rounder? The hats are abrasive enough on their own (which isn’t a bad thing) but coupled with that kick maybe just feels a little too abrasive for the style of song.
Great chops man, love it.

1 Like

@ingolee EDM has like 500 genres now, so it is impossible to keep up with. Sometimes it is cool though. I just head about this new genre call Botanica that seems interesting. I’ll try to do a more in-depth breakdown in a few weeks. Is there any particular part/plugin you’re interested in me focusing on?

@terryhesticles The idea was to make it more of an EDM future bass style thing, so the drop and hard hits are more of the focal point. I love 90’s R&B, but this was made as more of an EDM thing. In the future I do want do something in a more chill R&B style though. Thanks for the feedback and kind words.

3 Likes

I appreciate that @Chandler. You have a great collection of instructional stuff I’ve been looking at. I subscribed to Melda and I’ve been working with Guitar Architect which I like. It has some good sounds and a lot of depth. I’m not sure I’d buy it outright, it needs time to work with it and I’ve grown spoiled by the presets of the world but I’m happy with a subscription level commitment for now.

i downloaded Melda’s drum machine and it is more demanding but you have some good videos for it so we’ll see how I do with that. I already have some good drum sounds from EW and it’s pretty easy to just bang something out with a keyboard or import a loop from somewhere and edit it but Melda has a good product and we can never have to much gear!

1 Like

@ingolee I’m glad to hear you’re liking the melda stuff so far. The nice thing about MDrummer is that you can use it with other sample software if you want. It can be the engine and the other software can be played by it. I find it helps me get things done faster because it will create variations on the basic beat, so I can just drop in the correct beats for the different parts of the song. Anyway, just find what works for you and enjoy the process!

Works for me, this track is insane. Good job!

1 Like

This is good stuff, good composition :grinning:

1 Like

@Descent Thanks. I’ll go with this version then

@Screaming4attention Thank you. I wanted to try something new and I’m glad people like it.