Sell My Soul

So this is a song I’m working on at the moment any tips will be a great help and I know there are lots of talented people on here

2 Likes

Cool song! Brilliant drum and guitar sounds, well done.

My 2c gut reaction observations: I think the vox sound like they might be missing a bit of high end and they could (IMO) do with just a hint of reverb to sit better with the rest of the mix.

In general though, I hesitate to comment much as this is way beyond me - sounds really pro.

Wow, pretty impressive. The vocals in particular - the singer sounds a little like Glen Hughes - but the whole production is tight and epic. I’m not listening on decent speakers ATM, but my sense from these is that it may be just a touch “edgy” in the high frequencies overall… I’d like to check it on better speakers. Nice!

1 Like

The vocals, bass and gtrs sound good. The vocals could use a little more top end to help it cut. Perhaps cut the guitars a bit in the region where the singer comes in. The intro could use some work though. The piano and strings don’t sound as good as the rest of the instruments. Perhaps try another VSTi, change the arrangement ro think about using a clean guitar for some of those parts instead. When the other instruments come in it sounds a lot better, so if you can get the intro sounding as good as the rest of the song you’ll have a winner.

1 Like

I’m listening on AKG K-77 headphones, through my laptop.

First impression was that it sounds really GOOD!
I like the feel a lot.
I wouldn’t put any more effect on the vocal as someone else above suggested. Seems like there’s plenty of delay.
I really like the bottom end and the way the guitars mesh with the bass. The pianos sound great too. Really everything sounds very good.The vocals come across loud,and clear. I like the slight rasp in the guys voice.
I could nit pick anything but after 3 listens ( 2 unfocused listens and 1 focused listen) there’s really not much I can fairly criticize.
I love the space that you created in the instrumentation and the mix. The mix feels like it has space and depth. Very three dimensional.
This is a damn good recording!

What gear are you using for drums, guitar and piano?

Having another listen on studio speakers. Still sounds great to me. There have been a few mentions of the vocals not having enough high end, but I’m not hearing any problem there. The low end sounds super-tight and controlled on my sub.

I think the piano sounds ok - My personal preference would be something with a little more character - it sounds a bit too “vanilla” and pristine for me - maybe try messing it up a little with some saturation.

Being super-picky, I think the crowd vocal could come forward in the mix just a bit, since it is singing the hook - just a little more clarity in the lyrics there, maybe.

Nice work!

1 Like

Thanks firedanceI be doing some mixing this weekend and look into that

Thanks for listening coldroomstudio the singer will be well chuffed with the Glen Hugh’s reference.
I’ll be tweaking this song on the weekend

Thanks for the tips guys

There’s a lot to like about this! Great vocals, nice growly in your face guitars, epic arrangement. Its all great.
My suggestion here is to try to focus the composition, the intro is very epic sounding and the chord progression used highlights that very well, but It also feels like there’s a melody buried in there, you should either highlight it when playing or remove it completely, either way it will sound more focused.

The vocal comes in like a bulldozer, and I don’t feel like the rest of the instruments keep up in the very beginning of the song. you should figure out a way for the guitar to highlight the vocal, it might be as simple as dialing it down a bit until the chorus.

The background vocals are a little too in the background, bring them up a little bit.
The glittering synth part just before the chorus is a little too upfront and bright, you might want to tame that.

Awesome track, I hope we get to hear your progress soon!

I cant get my head around, but that chorus reminds me of another song :slight_smile: But I cant put my finger on it. Very nicely done mate ! Cant say I hear the same things that are mentioned, but then again I’m not that experienced yet. Maybe that’s also a good thing, as to know that I guess no one as a regular listener is going to notice these anytime soon :slight_smile: Not to discredit them, I would take them serious as well, but just to say.

Yes some interesting tips here and it’s great to hear how people hear your tracks. By the time I think the mix is ready I’ve played it to death and lose focus so it’s excellent to read people’s first impression

2 Likes

Very cool song! The one thing that stands out to me the most is that the vocal doesn’t seem to mesh completely into the track. At first I thought it was the mix. Listening a second time, I think it actually might be pitch problems. Did you fine-tune any of the vocals with something like Melodyne?

Yes I thought I got away with that ha ha. On this track the song was constructed around the vocal take so I pitch a few notes for it to fit the progression, maybe I’ll have to give that another look.

Sounds really good on my JBL lsr 5’s and in AKG-240 cans. Nice mix of all instruments… sounds… BIG. I’m a sucker for the huge and heavy contrasted with the clean keys and synth sprinkles. On my third listen… I like the vocals but there do seem to be minor pitch issues here and there. To my ears he’s a bit more Jorn Lande meets Chris Cornell rather than Glen Hughes… but that’s all good no matter how you slice it.

1 Like

Thank for giving it a bash skua was going to do some remixing today but the sun came and in the UK you’ve got to make the most of that ha ha

The song sounds great! I love the guitar and drum sounds. The only constructive criticism I can give is that the gang vocals in the chorus could be a hint louder at times. Nice work!

What Christina said about the vocal being a bit pitchy in some spots caught my attention. I noticed near the end of the song that the vocal was a bit off…, almost like the song is a bit too high for the singer to clearly make it work. BUT, instead of mentioning it I thought I wouldn’t say anything because there’s Zeppelin and Sabbath albums where their voices are a bit pitchy…, sometimes quite flat or sharp. Maybe it’s good to be a little imperfect…especially these days when everything is autotuned and aligned perfectly. The point is, the tune and the mix are very strong and pro sounding, and you can feel the vibe that they’re conveying.

1 Like

Everything is done very well on this track in terms of playing and production, great job!. The only things I could come up with are that the piano bridge before the final chorus could use an added element to ramp the energy up into the chorus, and then a last very minor issue with the vocal. I’m sure it would be difficult to ask for a slight revision in the chorus, but if the lead vocalist could scat around just a touch in a slightly lower register during the chorus, it would intensify the effect of hitting the upper register a few times less throughout the song. He’s hitting that note very well, but it sounds like hard work, so breaking that up a touch would have some added impact. It does sound a little like Chris Cornell, but he would be growling around a little lower most of the time and hitting the high note maybe once per chorus.

Beautiful job. It’s always easy to come up with a couple of nitpicks, but all in all it doesn’t get any better than this. Best of luck getting this heard all over the place.

Thanks everyone some great tip on here will be put these into action soon