Saxohone blues duel

Happy New Year…
I invited my friend Lovisa for a saxophone duel… unedited take here.
I was instrumental in getting her to play saxophone many years ago, needless to say, she’s overtaken me a long time ago. Playing with her was fun…

Happy New Year Sven!

Ha, I see what you did there. :wink:

Is that her on vocals, and a track that you produced? Cool sax work from both of you!

Yes, it’s a blues track I am working on, using Studio Drummer. I play the keys, guitar and bass.
And also sax now… :slight_smile:
Vocals is by Clara Sorace… the Ethera library…

She and her husband have been working with these libraries for a while now. I got fully onboard with their first, free library called Clara… which is no longer available. They do good work.

Sven

1 Like

I have seen some of those libraries out there, and in this context it works really well. The vocals become more of an instrument or effect in a way, with less focus on lyrics and more on emotional expression. It seems to work quite well for jazz/blues type vocals.

1 Like

Good sound, fun to listen to, like jam nite used to be, thanks for posting!

1 Like

Loving the sax sounds - do you close mic, distant mic, or both?

There is some airy resonance on the lower notes in the vocal that really seems to overtake the mix to my ear. Maybe some dynamic eq would help even that out.

Nice jam!

1 Like

Great playing for sure. I hope you repost after tweaking. I would love to hear that vocal better. fun stuff

1 Like

Thanks Andrew, I will check those low notes out.
Given that I don’t have a sound isolated room I’d wanted to use dynamic mikes on both saxes, just put on stands and playing into them. But I’ve only got on decent dynamic, an AKG D5, so for Lovisa I used a Behringer C2, from one of those matched pair sets…
You’ll hear the sound in my sax is “sharper” - but I like the difference.
As we were standing about one meter apart there was also bleed.

S

Thanks Paul, there’s only so much I can do vis-a-vis the vocal source material, Clara is Italian and the pronunciation isn’t always there… so in the meantime it’s advisable to consider the vocals to be more of melodic content…

S

1 Like