Sandman, America 1971

America is the debut studio album by America, released in 1971. It was initially released without “A Horse with No Name”, which was released as a single in late 1971. When “A Horse with No Name” became a worldwide hit in early 1972, the album was re-released with that track.

The album went to No. 1 on the Billboard album chart in the United States and stayed there for five weeks.
Sandman is the second track in that album, “Sandman” (long-rumored to be about the United States Navy VQ-2 air squadron formerly based in Rota, Spain).

This song is dedicated to all our Airmen and Flyers of the US Navy.
For their bravery and commitment to our freedom and democracy!!!

1 Like

we aint’ had no time to drink that beer…I play all of America’s songs. You give them so much feeling.
I played in a rock/dance/wedding reception band who never played these kinda songs. I remember playing sister golden hair and I shot the sheriff at one gig and got some nasty looks. Now turn the page they loved especially when our lead singer played the sax. I look forward to hearing your stuff each day. Only slight problem is I see too much hat and not enough finger chord placement. Just kidding:)

1 Like

I definitely remember that one, haven’t heard it in a long long time.

I know this one sounds familiar too, so I must have heard it on the radio around that same time (early 70’s). I had no idea what it was (or might be) about though. Thanks for the historical background on these songs you are posting, I like music history. I didn’t realize “Horse” was not initially included on the album. The band America had a tremendous influence on popular music, of course, but was only songs I heard on the radio typically.

Salute!!

1 Like

Hi feaker,
I am having my beer now, and love America.
Here’s toast to my fav band!!!
I am so thankful for your wonderful feedback, Paul.
I will make sure, that my fingers are in the video, next time.
I was in a bit of a hurry on my last posts, as I recorded them before I set out for travel.
Thanks again, feaker!!!
Rene

1 Like

Hi Stan,
I am so thankful for your solid support, and wonderful comments.
Salute, indeed, to our servicemen and women in our military.
Thank you so much, Stan!!!
Rene

1 Like