RIP Dusty Hill, ZZ Top bassist

I just happened to see this on Aussie news first. Dusty put down some mean lead vocals on a least a few ZZ Top hits as well IIRC. Dusty, Enjoy And Get It On.

1 Like

As soon as I went on Facebook earlier in the day I saw a lot of posts about this. The story was also on our tv news up here in Canada. ZZ Top were a big hit back in 1983 and they had good success in the 70’s too, but I haven’t heard much about them in recent years except for occasional public appearances by Billy Gibbons. I’m a bit surprised that there has been such a huge outpouring of attention to his passing but it’s nice to see that people care. Some rock stars seem to go almost unnoticed or much less noticed than Dusty Hill when they pass away.

It was a pleasure to see and hear Dusty and ZZ Top on TV and the radio over the years. RIP to another 70’s/ 80’s rock star. It’s a melancholy feeling I have as I watch many of the famous stars that I grew up listening to, get picked off, one by one. I’m grateful for what they gave us, though.

3 Likes

saw them twice…no flaw concerts

1 Like

Same here, although in another article I read they were supposed to play a gig on Wednesday (July 28) but had to cancel as Dusty needed some hip surgery or something. So they were still playing!

Yes, twice for me also, and they were spot on both times.

2 Likes

I’m surprised to hear that they were scheduled to play on the 28th. That’s the same day he passed away, I think.

1 Like

From what I have read, he took off about a week ago to go back to his home in Houston TX for the hip thing, and the band’s guitar tech was filling in for him on bass etc. I assume they canceled the Wednesday show due to his death, but that’s still uncertain AFAIK. No cause of death released so far. And no details on when it happened, except they said he died in his sleep IIRC. Some nice testimonials pouring in from fellow rock stars who knew him.

2 Likes