Respect yourself...remastered by Michelle

Last week I witnessed a mom yank her son out of a car in the walmart parking lot. He was with his friends and she was giving him a tongue lashing. I moved closer to hear. Part of what she said was " did you forget that talk we just had about who you were hanging around with? Do you remember the words respect yourself? Do you see those guys laughing at you. etc I thought you go mom. I wrote a song about it. Well, I strayed a bit.
I have a new Breedlove guitar. Dave’s sounded so good in his video, I had to get one. I am totally in love with this thing.
Anyway I put that acoustic track on one side and my prs on the other. The sound of those two, to me, is good. I used a term my grandma used when one has a tendency to gossip etc. She would say “keep your nose on your face” ha ha I also wanted to have the theme of folks in low places …like myself and friends.

this one by Michelle…I didn’t aske her, but what a treat :slight_smile:

Respect yourself

You are such a busybody…that’s no way to live…you’ve got to
Keep your nose upon your face…yur no better than anyone else
Keep your nose upon your face. …and don’t forget…respect yourself

Well Idon’t know no fancy words or people and I’m not what most folks would call refined
I am just a low life hanging here with my buddies G C G D
We ain’t too smart… but we do have our pride

Keep your nose upon your face…yur no better than anyone else C G D G
Keep your nose upon your face… and don’t forget…respect yourself

We don’t drink no spensive wine uh uh ….and burger king is where we like to dine
I ain’t got no big plans … tonight…just me and my friends and… cold… bud… light G C G D

There’s a place everyone can grow to shine and be someone Em C D
Don’t let no one get you down
You know what’s right in this poor side of town Em C D G

4 Likes

awesome! very sweet sounding.
You could try lowering the lead vocals by a db and add a splash of delay to sweeten the pot.

1 Like

Hi Michelle. Glad you said that about the hot vocal. That is a frequency range I can’t hear very well. Just ask my wife. ha ha The vox right now is completely dry. I have no idea what kind of reverb or delay on it. I have one pick that says analog delay “sweeten the vocal” ha ha I have no clue, I will slap that on and see. Good to hear from you and thanks for your thoughts,

1 Like

:slight_smile: anytime. Loved your track. Sent you a pm.

Great tune, Paul - Loverly harmonies, and and nice little bit of harmonica! Very nicely done!

1 Like

Hi Andy. going kinda sideways right now with songs. Messin with a new one right now. Starting with that first chord of pinball wizard. A B4th or whatever. Thanks for taking the time.

Wow, you really made this track come alive. Big thanks to you

2 Likes

Hey Paul, fun song and very apt in these days when so many people feel the need to stick their nose (and negative opinions) in other peoples lives. I guess ‘facebook’ means something quite different than your mom’s wisdom about keeping your nose upon your face haha :joy:
Nice song Paul! And yes what a difference a bit of quality mastering can make! Well done Michelle.

3 Likes

Great tune, and great work Michelle on the production! I did miss hearing the harmonica a little earlier, but that’s the nittiest of picks. Good stuff!

2 Likes

feaker/Michelle,
Very nice song and audio! Well done.

2 Likes

I like the song, and I’ve listened to both, and I liked both! No doubt Michelle’s mix is a lot louder and rockier, whereas the original is intimate.

Lyrics are an anthem to the not too smart but proud who eat whoppers and drink cold bud light who don’t think they’re better but still respect themselves. A far cry from the mom scolding her kids! But inspiration is often like that.

1 Like

I absolutely loved this. Its like a kid’s song for adults. I very much prefer the first version. The second version is very “produced” but loses so much of the wonderful intimacy of the great vocal and b.g.s. As a harp player myself I was very taken by the simplicity and elegance of your use of it in the song. Bravo! The only thing that could use more work was the next to the last verse “There’s a place…” The chord changes or the melodic line needs to be reworked a bit to be as strong as the rest. This is the best thing I have heard today and is so wonderfully original. Great work!!!

1 Like