Recording a guitar DI and reamping later

I thought this was kind of an interesting article. Does anyone here do this on occasion? What are your thoughts?

1 Like

I do it for everything. Even if I’m using a tube amp. I’ll split the signal with a DI, send one to the amp, and one direct into my interface. I also run the output of the head into a load box, which allows me to pass the signal through to the cabinet and run the output of the amp head into my interface so I can use IR’s if I so choose.

While I certainly like to commit to a tone, I also like options. If I feel the tone I started with isn’t working with the direction a recording/mix is going, I’ll change it… be it into another head or into a sim/IR. Whatever works and serves the track.

1 Like

I do it most of the time as I am recording at night and can’t make room, plus I want to track and not dial in tones.
Once I am done recording, then I put my engineer hat and look for the tones.
Back in the day that was what studio engineers were for - to get the tone and you could only play, so in a way I am separating the two, by reamping and being just an engineer later, once the stress from the tracking session is over.

1 Like