REAPER Themes, Configurability

WT Imperial is a very popular and nicely done theme. There are numerous mods on the Imperial. WT stands for “White TIe” which is the creator’s website. Check this out (their home page).

That’s actually related to the first one listed in the initial post. It really is very nice! Thanks for posting, vtr.

2 Likes

yup, this is the only version I have found where I can hide sections of the mixer to see more than one track on a 21.5" screen.

These things are designed BIG :slight_smile: I’d guess that was what Stan was alluding to.

2 Likes

Only thing is I’ve never figured out how to use those buss lites on the channel tracks in the mixer. Has that made any sense to you?

not a clue :beerbanger:

…ok, it says here what they do, but i cant make them work either.

…anyone know what the TCP technique is?

1 Like

Well, TCP stands for “track control panel” – as contrasted with the mixing panel. So they’re saying that the lights will show a tracks position within a folder hierarchy if you set a track in a folder by drag-n-drop. So if I drop one track underneath another the light comes on, but only for the last track in the folder.

It’s kind of odd, actually. It doesn’t seem to behave consistently either. I haven’t found that to be very helpful. Apart from that, though, it’s a beautiful theme! I wish I could make those lights go away!

Its not working for me, at all. The Reaper folders idea is pretty clunky anyway. Just group it like its analogue, FFS. I never use them so they are are virtually useless, to me.

Yeah, I tried that Albert-C Pro Tools one again and the mixer is just huge, can barely see 1-2 tracks in the Track Edit window. I like the theme, but that’s kind of a PITA. If I use it I’ll probably hide the Mixer whenever possible. I tried it some years ago when first switching over from Pro Tools to Reaper, thinking that would make the transition easier, but eventually it got confusing as I was customizing Reaper so I went with the Reaper default theme to keep my head on straight. It’s become quite boring though, so I’m ready for a change. :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t remember the mixer being that huge though.

I found it fairly easy to switch/scroll themes with the Ctrl+Alt+Page Up/Down shortcut when I want to. :sunglasses:

Just a guess, but I opened TCP and tracks in folders are indented (if Indent Tracks in Folders box is checked). You can drag and drop tracks in TCP, so I’m guessing that’s what that theme wants you to do so it can keep up with changes. It must have been designed that way. I may try that too, if it’s easier than doing it on the Track Edit screen. I still have problems sometimes when moving tracks, and it won’t work the way I want. I finally just drag the tracks I’m trying to reconfigure in a folder to the end and start over, if necessary.

I found the version you can shrink (i think).

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183627

link is here

http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/WT_Imperial_V5_WIPsnapshot_build.ReaperThemeZip

1 Like

Yes, that seems to work much better, thanks! It also shows tracks in folders indented a bit in the Track Edit view.

I confirmed that when you create folders in TCP (highlight and Ctrl+F) that the last track in the folder makes that light come on. I don’t know how much good that does, but it’s interesting.

1 Like

ctrl+F still doesnt do anything for me yet, maybe TCP is infected :wink:

What does the TCP look like, maybe Im selecting the wrong bit?

Well, it’s the Track Manager window. I think that’s the same as TCP (Track Control Panel) but I may not be saying it right. Ctrl+F is a standard/default keyboard shortcut AFAIK, but you might check SWS and make sure it’s in there. It should work anywhere you have tracks selected/highlighted, so in the track window or Track Manager. Select/highlight the tracks you want to make a folder, hit Ctrl+F, and the first track should be the folder/parent and the last should be the last track in the folder. You won’t see a difference in Track Manager/TCP, but in the track window you’ll see the indented tracks, and the lights on the mixer window tracks.

One weird thing about this WIPsnapshot theme is that when pulling the mixer down it doesn’t resize, just the track bottom disappears from the main window. I guess it’s okay though, the bus lights may disappear but they’re not that significant really, and the bottom of the fader meter disappears which should be fine if levels are decent. Oh, but the default track numbers disappear too.

I’m not familiar with tweaking layouts and WALTER, but it looks like lots of things can be customized in this theme. The colored faders things is kind of neat. :slightly_smiling_face: I may have to learn about those things.

EDIT: Oh, and if tracks are collapsed (small) in the track window, a record-enabled track will automatically expand to standard size. And when disabled, it shrinks back to the small size of the rest. That’s kind of neat. :nerd_face:

got it, thanks. Wonder why that didnt work before…?

but you are right - it makes no real sense,

Yes - Walter is an enigma to me too, as yet.

Update this thread when you find something interesting, please!

1 Like

Right, I do hope to learn more now that I’m checking into it.

Hm,m. I’m not sure what you mean. I haven’t had that problem at all. Is it just a matter of resizing the size of the panels? One of the first few posts above (by me) speaks to how to do that.

Actually, I love the folders motif. It’s very different, but versatile. It’s a mega-quick way to set up a sub-mix buss. For more info, see this page; also, here’s a decent discussion on Cockos’ user forum about folders and busses in Reaper.

Reaper’s versatile in that if you don’t like it that way, there a lot of other ways to do it and routing capabilities are pretty well-developed.

Kenny Gioia has a decent video on Folders vs Busses vs Groups vs VCAs in REAPER.

Ugh. I s’pose I’m getting off topic. I’ll quit now! :slight_smile:
Hope that’s helpful.

Nice. Thanks for posting.

Here ya, go: this is a description of the TCP (click here).

2 Likes

On most themes you can drag the mixer window size tall or short (and mine is docked on the bottom). This Albert-C won’t let me pull it down at all. It takes up almost 3/4 of the screen. Maybe there’s another way to change/fix that, but simple drag down is not working on that theme for the mixer at all.

I see that I did have my jargon jumbled up. What I was calling the Track window or Track Edit window is what they call the TCP. For some reason I thought of the Track Manager window as the TCP (because it looks more like a control panel to me :face_with_monocle:). Partly old Pro Tools habits too (Mix window, Edit window).

1 Like

Oh, I think I know what you’re talking about. You’re mixer is docked in the bottom of the screen (the “docker”). Just R-click the tab that says “mixer” (don’t click the “x” – that’ll close the mixer) and uncheck the line at the bottom that says “Dock Mixer in Docker”. That’ll make it a free-floating window.

43%20PM

Is that what you’re looking for?

1 Like

Oh, I know! I came to REAPER from SONAR and it took a bit of re-learning. But I found that the more I use it, the more it makes sense to me. It’s a brilliantly logical layout and work scheme. It grows on you! Now I could never go back!

Neat thing is how configurable it is: you can totally change the looks of it (themes, layouts, etc.), write macros and scripts, etc. Very powerful workstation.

1 Like

Well, I did try it - I prefer the Mixer docked so I always leave it that way. Even if I undock the Mixer, that floating window won’t shrink down from a rather large size (in these two themes anyway), so it doesn’t seem “resizable” to me in a meaningful way (unless you want it bigger). In the default Reaper theme, and many of the others, you can drag the docked Mixer down as short/small as you want. The Imperial and Albert-C don’t seem to do that, even undocked.

There is a workaround in a way, as I like to hide the Mixer anyway sometimes to just see only the TCP. It’s Ctrl+M to hide and unhide. Most of the time though I like to see both in a fairly equal balance. I suppose someone had a reason for making the Mixer a static size … maybe they work only in the Mixer when mixing. There’s some logic in that, in that one standard workflow is to do all edits in the TCP and then all mixing on a ‘console’. But I guess I’m in the habit of jumping between both, so I like everything accessible. I may rethink my workflow based on the theme that I like. :thinking:

Dunno if this is useful to anybody, but right click the master track if you want to see the mixer like this.

1 Like