REAPER 6.0 - What's New?

I haven’t been able to look at it yet, maybe some of you already know some things I don’t. But it looks like it just dropped today. Anyway, I thought it would be good to have a thread to discuss the new version as we all discover things about it.

1 Like

Oooooo. I might have to give this yet another look.

1 Like
2 Likes

Some cool new features. Time to buy a new license for this.

looks great!

1 Like

Just a heads-up, if you upgrade from Reaper 5 you may have to buy a new license. You can still use 6, it will just be in Evaluation mode. There’s a 6.0 “What’s New” manual with about 15 pages that describes new things in 6 but it will be a work in progress to extend that and it doesn’t replace the full manual at this point.

I know this could take some time to incorporate for some of us, but I thought it would be nice to share experiences and new insights with the new version as they emerge. It’s kind of a big deal. :beerbanger:

Track Wiring View and updates to the MIDI Editor are pretty interesting.

It does look interesting. I like the look of the new theme, easier on the eyes without losing the functionality it seems. Haven’t downloaded it yet. I’ll have to pay for the new version I guess, but so far I’ve only paid for the one version (I started out with version 3.6 if I remember right). This will set me up for many years to come.

One thing I hope they improve some day is the way you can find / organize your plugins. It would be a lot easier if you could define several layers of sub-folders: like dynamic Fx/ compressors/ multiband. Or Instruments/ orchestra/ violins. And be able to store this folder structure. Right now it depends too much on a search function which only works if you remember the name of the plugin. Maybe I should do a request on the reaper forum.

1 Like

I can’t speak for V6 at the moment, but in V5 this is easy, if I understand your question correctly. You can “Add Folder” to just about any main folder in the Plugin Manager window. I don’t think you can do it with All Plugins or FX Chains but there may be a good reason for that. But under Folders and Favorites you can add at least another level and I’d guess more levels than that. You can also add a folder in Categories with New Category and in Developers with New Developer. Just right-mouse-click where you want to create a subfolder. Under Folders I have created my own categories (folders) for things as you mentioned, but I haven’t stacked subfolders in there, just a folder for each type of tool I want to access.

EDIT: Oh, I think I see what you mean. It’s just one level of subfolder under an existing folder. No deep ‘nesting’ like I guess you’re looking for.

That’s what I’ve done as well. I tried making sub-folders once and it did’t work. I’ll have to try again! I need sub-folders basically because I have way too many plugins and I can’t decide which ones to get rid of :blush: .

1 Like

I edited my post above when I tried it, I see why you had problems. It doesn’t work in V5, or V6 either! What I did was just stack new folders I created under the “Folders” folder (where the Favorites folder is located). I have about 20 of them, and was able to differentiate the plugins enough to keep track of things fairly well. I usually remember the names too, but when I occasionally forget one my folder structure helps me.

I think this disease will be going in the DSM-5 fairly soon. :wink: I thought I had a lot of plugins, and then I saw all the new crap out there on Black Friday and couldn’t believe the volume and selection of plugins available. It makes me wonder how someone ever sat at the same studio recording console day in and day out for years. :yawning_face: :smirk:

2 Likes

How boring. But then again it might have been more about doing something you tend to forget with all these plugins: making music! :saxophone::guitar::trumpet::violin::microphone::drum:

2 Likes

If you don’t remember, is there a way to tell when you purchased your license?

1 Like

I know that’s right! The Shiny Object Syndrome is an attraction to distraction! :grin: Are they tools or toys? I guess it depends how much time you spend playing with them rather than actually using them to build or fix something. :bulb: :wink:

Not unless you have an old email from them or a printed (or other) receipt for the payment somewhere. If you install v6, it will probably prompt you for a license if you’ve already had one for a long time. AFAIK the older licenses went through v5.99, but it may depend on when you purchased it. I started switching from Pro Tools to Reaper over 5 years ago apparently, as my license was about 5 1/2 years old, and I came into it in maybe the middle of v4. A new license, at least the one I got, is good from v6.0 through v7.99.

Well I just found out by installing v6 that my license was too old so I purchased a new one. My small business is meeting the requirements for a discounted license and I honestly believe $60 is a bargain for what this DAW can do.

1 Like

My license says what versions it covers. I bought 5.9 in August and it says it covers through 6.9.

1 Like

some of the updated midi features are very nice.

I do like the new default theme, but I can’t stand vertical meters, so it looks like I’ll be keeping my old theme.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to digging into that!

+1, midi CC envelopes are much needed.

1 Like