RE: Stan Halen - "Why" do we love music/recording? And does that answer reflect on our business models?

I have to give this one some though.

My first reaction (funny as it may seem) is that this video can make musicians and athletes look pretty shallow. If you were to ask CLA why he busts his ass every day in the studio, I’ve heard him talk enough to know what his answer will be. “Because I wanna win”. I think Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods would have answered the same in their prime. Ask them ‘why’ they wanna win, I don’t know that any of those three actually owe anyone a better explanation.

But take the ‘performance’ element out, and perhaps you’d ask Michael Jordan why he opened a restaurant, or why he bought a basketball team, I don’t know if he would attribute a deeper explanation than ‘I want to win’. I’ve haven’t listened to him or read his books enough to know what he would say.

So if someone asks that “Why” question at the deeper underlying level of your entire business model, what would you say?

Ps…YOU’LL WANT TO WATCH THE VIDEO BEFORE COMMENTING…IT’LL MAKE THIS WHOLE THREAD MAKE MORE SENSE.

Thanks for starting the new thread! And your question actually segues incredibly well with some new info I found, literally, when you were creating the new thread.

This guy Lex Sisney insists that Simon’s model actually needs “Who” at the center, as the first step, the first priority. Then Why, How, and What. His credentials indicate he may know what he’s talking about. The “Who” being the customer or client, or perhaps the passionate entrepreneur who wants to win (but in order to win they need to attract the customers).

http://organizationalphysics.com/2013/04/01/whats-wrong-with-the-golden-circle/

I love this thread! As you might expect, I just about disagree with everything in the video. LOL!!! I get what he’s saying, appreciate his insight, and see where it may have value in a lot of situations. But I also think each person has their own reasons for everything and they can’t really be summed up by one persons way of thinking, ya know?

For example, I hope you don’t mind me talking about my own personal situation…but my selling point isn’t just how good I am at what I do. There are several that are just as good or better.

I used to like doing this much more…but now it’s more because I want to help people that are struggling. I’ve done so many jobs, this has become a job. One I like more than dislike of course, but I’d be lying if I told you I still loved it like I once did.

My selling point is simple. Do things others do not and do all things to the best of my ability without cutting corners or letting the almighty dollar rule my business. Even if I’m not the best at what I do, I offer things people do not offer either because:

a) they may not have the time
b) they may not have the experience
c) they may not have the patience

Case in point. If someone comes to me to master a song, if I don’t think mastering can save the song or make it better where it’s blatantly better, I will not take the job on. I will tell the client it’s best for them to remix the song before they sent it to anyone to be mastered.

How and what I do

If they tell me “we want you to master it though” I offer advice and do so for every service we provide. They have to commit to me…half down, and I will help them mix that song until we get it right before I master a thing. Not many people I know will go through that trouble. By the time I master the song, they have learned quite a lot, and the mastered product will far exceed what we started with.

Mixing…the same thing. If someone sends me something to mix, and some of the instrumentation is bad, I will ask them if it’s possible to re-cut some of the instruments. I’ll guide them and tell them what to look for in an instrument.

Why do I do it?

All of the above said, no client I have has to listen to my advice. But it’s there as a part of my business model. I sincerely love helping people and love to feel good about what I do as well as them feeling good about what we did as a team.

It’s all done with patience, love, determination and a commitment to excellence to the best of my ability as well as getting the best out of my clients when possible. To me, I feel this is why I’ve been so successful in this field. I not only sell the services, I’ve sold myself and the fact that whoever works with me will not walk away unhappy. I’ve been doing this a long time. I pride myself on client satisfaction as well as mentoring and attention to detail. So I also agree with Stan on the whole “who” thing as I sincerely believe selling the “who you are/what you’re about” thing is probably the most important right along with delivering the goods. :slight_smile: