RE: Recommendations for compressors, and question about Waves W-up

Teagan wrote: I haven’t decided on what to do for my opto/FET comps. I’ve been reading up on Waves upgrade policy and am kinda intimidated at the prospect of pricey upgrades down the road to be able to continue to use my stuff. I’m reading many think it’s not a big deal, many are pretty put off by it. It seems most that aren’t so bothered are possibly people that more do this professionally and have a ton of plugs, and the prospect of a couple hundred bucks every few years to upgrade a ton of stuff isn’t a big deal. I’m not sure. I have a handful of Waves stuff (Vitamin, which I love; CLA Unplugged and Vocals, a few others). What are your thoughts?

Hey Tegan, welcome, and hopefully I we can get you set up on this forum soon. Its easier for me to take some of these question here, unless there are details or information in the emails that aren’t topic sensitive. Everything you wrote above looks fairly tech-oriented, so I hope you don’t mine me fielding it here, as this particular forums link and referencing workflow makes things easier to respond to. Also, I’m on this forum much more than the other.

The W-up is a non-factor for the Classic Compressors bundle. That is totally optional. Plugins will continue to work, and you will continue to receive patch/bug fixes even after your Wup expires.

The W-up was created for people like myself that buy a bundle like the Waves Mercury that is constantly changing. It adds no value to a bundle like the classic compressors that has not changed since its been released, nor is it likely to change in the foreseeable future. And the value of the W-up for myself is that it caps at $225, so I can decide not to pay it for 3 years, let Waves add a bunch of stuff, then update ALL of my bundles under the same cap at the same time. So when I renew Mercury, I also renew Abbey Road, Ambisonics, SSL, and individual plugins (like the infected mushroom pusher) that are not included in Mercury. So lets say you had the old version 7 of classic compressors. It would have continued to work without ever renewing Wup once. But say you wanted to upgrade to the Classic Compressors V10 so that you could use them in conjunction with the Native Instruments Maschine Studio control surface. Then you would have had to upgrade them, but I think the upgrade is less than $10. So you are NOT having to pay $225 - that’s only for users with very expensive bundles.

So the Overloud and Black Rooster came from a recommendation of another guy here @AaronNarace. I’ve only been using them for a couple weeks, but I love them to death! Maybe he can weigh in you have any other questions. If you were to buy the Overloud FET, you might be able to do without the Waves 1176.

Teagan Wrote: ALSO, I’m reading consistently outstanding raves about Klanghelm’s MJUC . Seems it’s got the smoother vari-mu flavor of a tube, coupled with the ability to do very fast attack and release times, which real vari-mus couldn’t do. I’m hearing raves about how brilliant it sounds on vocals, drums, guitars, etc., etc. Can that accomplish much of the same? Or do I want to stay with the opto/FET thing.

I would get all 3. The Klanghelm isn’t a true substitute for the 1176 and LA2A in my opinion. Its something you want in addition to those. Many others (and I hope they chime in here too) are not as dogmatic about the 1176 as I am. Keep in mind this is my personal preference. Its not like there’s some federal law mandating that you MUST own an 1176.

Another thing I need to add is that the signature quality of a Vari-Mu is NOT that its slow. The defining quality of a vari mu is that the tubes reset themselves x number of times per second based on the decibel level of the incoming signal. The first very mu-compressors that were built HAPPENED TO BE slow, but being slow does not make it a Vari mu. So if you want a Vari-mu emulator, you’re gonna have some pretty sluggish (but musical) release curves. But companies like Manley adapted the Vari-Mu technology to give the user more control, so don’t judge that family of compressor only by its speed differential.

1 Like

Wow. Excellent info. Thanks.

What are your thoughts about going in the direction of bx_opto as my opto, and Stillwell’s Rocket as my FET?

Very affordable (opto’s on sale right now; unless it’s always that price?) and seem to be getting quite outstanding reviews.

Is that a reasonable direction to go for the opto/FET compressor combo?

Those two plugs really do get great reviews, but I’m wondering how they would do together, in the way that, say, CLA-2A and CLA-76 complement each other. I do want to get the opto/FET thing goin’!

1 Like

I’m not sure that I can add very much that Jonathan didn’t cover. I have a pretty big waves bundle. I pay the WUP fees once a year. I exclude some plugins that I don’t use. The CLA 1176 and LA2a are really good. The problem with me is that I have the hardware so when I compare them they are not remotely similar. They are different not better or worse. I hate looking at a digital 1176 that sounds completely different that the hardware. I prefer to use Ren comp a lot because I don’t feel it is trying to be something that its not. When I imputted my Manley vari mu attack and release settings into it I got a great result. More “manley vari-mu esque” than many plugins I’ve tried.

I just pulled out the bx onto and tossed it on a mix. It’s been so long since I used it I forgot I had it.

The BX Optos behavior is closer to a 3A than an 2A, and the 2A is by far the more essential unit to have. Between the BX and the 3A, I highly prefer the Waves 3A, but I have admit that the Waves 3A is my favorite out of all the emulators on the market. Its one of the few emulators which I prefer Waves over UAD.

I love Waves stuff, but in the emulator market I favor UAD. Except for on this one plugin.

The LA2A behavior is highly unique. It has a non-linear release time. When a signal hits it, it has a med-fast release of 60ms until it looses half of the signal. Then it releases the remainder of the signal over the course of 2-4 seconds. So its not like you can say. 2A = optical. BX = optical. Therefore 2A = BX.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLUGIN-ALLIANCE-Brainworx-Bx-Opto-Maag-Audio-EQ2-SPL-Attacker-VST-AU-AAX/173625814914?hash=item286ce7af82:g:ZCwAAOSw7UZbQhGg:rk:1:pf:0

Here’s a full copy of the BX for $12. I know someone who just bought and registered this. He says the seller is legit.

Welcome to the forum @Tesgin! Great to have you aboard! :beerbanger:

Thanks, holster, for the welcome. Much appreciated.

Thanks, Jonathan, for the comments on the bx_opto. I’ve reviewed the Waves WUP and am thinking it’s workable for me. I do have a couple o’ questions about it, but I’m gonna contact support to get clarification. Will post what I find after I speak with them.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Rocket?

I’m so glad Black Friday is next week!

I looked more at the Black Rooster stuff: looks very impressive. Oh, did I mention I’m looking forward to Black Friday?
:slight_smile:

Oops! Forgot to answer that part. I’ve never tried that thing. I’m curious as well. If anyone has used this thing, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts or how it compares to some of the others.

Those are some good plugins at a great price. Oddly, those are the 3 Plugin Alliance plugins from the Presonus “Studio Magic Plugin Suite” that you get when you buy a Presonus Audio Interface. Maybe he picked up the Studio Magic suite with a purchase and is selling off his duplicates? Although, how he is selling multiples is a mystery. Either way, ask the seller if there will be license transfer fees before you give him money!

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-Magic

Welcome @Tesgin! Yes, Black Friday is exciting, but hang on to your wallet. :wink:

Be sure and check out Boz Digital plugins too. He makes great ones and hangs out here a bit too. …and no silly and confusing “WUP” licensing either. :grin:

According to the pluginalliance.com website there is a license transfer fee of “$20 per plugin or $50 for 3 or more plugins. The buyer will have to pay this before they can start using the plugins in their Plugin Alliance account.”

But those plugins are new, and never registered. There won’t be a transfer fee because that guy is an authorized dealer. My friend said the seller deposited them strait into his account. No transfer fee. I called him again this morning and confirmed they were working smoothly before recommending them.

Nice. Can’t beat that! I pulled the trigger and purchased the opto! Will update y’all as to how I make out.

Thanks, Jonathan

You got a great deal there @Tesgin !