Rash purchases!

Here is a short vid, that shows a little of what it can do. You can use other midi grooves, static midi beats, or let the drummer brain create everything for you (after defining song structure.

Editing out my question that I posted, because I found the answer by employing a little RTFM :grinning:

My question was, can you export the grooves/songs you compile in Jamstix to be played by your VST drum plug of choice, and the answer is Yes.

Edit: I have now spent some time reading about this and watching some demo vidsā€¦ this looks like something I could really use. I canā€™t count the number of times Iā€™ve run up against an insufficient number of variations and fills in a particular set of midi drum grooves-- Iā€™ll love the basic groove but it has only one or two fill variants. The only option is either to manually vary the ones available in that set or go find another set with more variations included. This baby will remove that restriction and Iā€™ll get way more out of all the midi grooves I already own. Sweet!

Definitely going to d/l the trial version and play with this, and if itā€™s as useful as it seems, I will have to pick it up.

1 Like

Go for it! You can use this to play any drum software you own or it has its own capable ,varied drum kits.

I am really liking this.

I went back and also picked up 2 expansion packs. The Sophisica and Euclid (based on poly rhytms)

You can mix and match styles and drummers too, even have different drummers for different parts

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve seen that in the demos, and also how they ensure that only drumming that is physically possible by a two-armed person is used. No octopi!

I was about to ask if youā€™d gone for any of the expansions. Iā€™m going to d/l the demo here shortly, but then will need to decide which version/price point to go for. Not sure I want to spring for the entire $250 full versionā€¦ The P version at $149 looks like it might be a nice option.

1 Like

That would be a great starting point.

I may recommend the ā€œbonzoā€ ExPac. It is based off of Zepplinā€™s Bonham, and comes with a couple of Zep songs loaded into the preset songs.

Also the ā€œjamcussionā€ is an awesome feature too and would also suggest getting that.

If I do end up getting this, Iā€™ll get one of the options that includes Jamcussion. Clearly necessary if one is going to get this.

If you need help with the demo unit, let me know. Of course there are a bunch of vids online too

@Chordwainer Have you tried the demo yet? If you have, what are your thoughts about it?

This thread is hilarious. ā€¦and oddly comforting.

2 Likes

Yep, I have, and it does seem pretty nifty. Unfortunately the demo is massively crippled though, so I canā€™t test some of the features I am most interested in.In particular, how well it integrates with AD2, the drum module I use-- exporting a Jamstix performance as MIDI is disabled. I have read some comments from AD users reporting some compatibility issues, so that is concerning.

Still have a bunch more testing to doā€¦ and I see that the next big version update is coming ā€œsoonā€, v4. So I may just wait til that comes out, itā€™s been ā€œcoming soonā€ since 2015 apparentlyā€¦

Regarding the AD2 integration, here is something I found on the forum. The original post was asking how to make it work because the key mapping was off. The reply he had gotten was to use the AD2 drumkit instead of the jamstix drum kit. But what I found interesting was thisā€¦

Kevin_W wrote:
You need to load the AD2 kit in JS, rather than a JS kit
I just noticed the detail here: in my version of JS there is only an option to add an Addictive Drums kit, not an ā€˜AD2ā€™ on.

ā€œPerhaps I need to update from Jamstix 3.5 to 3.6?
Anyway, many thanks.ā€

Yes, sorry about the name detail.
Iā€™m using 3.6, but it also worked on 3.5.
I like the AD sounds, but I also like the JS sounds. The reason I quit using JS to drive AD is that there is not a 1:1 mapping of hits. What I mean is, JS has more articulations than AD has. So you get a more realistic track by using the JS kits than by using the AD kits, IMO.
What I sometimes play with is using the AD midi patterns as a starting point for JS. I donā€™t do that often enough to give a tutorial, but itā€™s not terribly difficult IIRC.

@Chordwainer, If you want I can make up a midi file exported for AD2 and send it to you, so you can see for yourself.

I read that exact thread, and itā€™s one of the sources I was referring to. I can see that there is a menu choice for loading an AD kit, but itā€™s one of the things thatā€™s crippled in the demo.

Sure thing, would be glad to get a MIDI file that I can then load into AD2 and verify that it sounds right. Could you also render it as an audio file so I can do that verification? Much appreciated!! :trophy:

Yes. Send me your email .