Punk gone acoustic…Maybelline (original tune)

I wrote this song in college and it was a staple in my punk band. Since my family is out of town I decided to make an acoustic version last night after work. And since my last submission for bashing was a noisy head-ripper, I thought I’d pull out the acoustic this time.

Let me know what you think. I’ll make the changes then send it to my old band mates; I think they’ll really enjoy the trip down memory lane. Thanks!

6 Likes

Hi FGF, really nice tune, well performed. Sounds great on my headphones. I like the the acoustic guitar solo with the tremolo picking. The arrangement is really cool too - the strings toward the end are a really nice touch, and I love how you gradually built the arrangement. Excellent stuff!

1 Like

Much appreciation! I enjoyed my second foray into the acoustic recording realm. I used my wife’s Taylor GS Mini. I’ve been thoroughly impressed with that little guitar! Recorded great through an ADK tube mic into an empirical labs Mike-e. I’m really digging that chain for vocals too.

This is brilliant. Great harmonies. This whole composition is outstanding. The only thing that I can barely say that I notice from a recording stand point is that reverb on the lead guitar in the beginning. It has that bouncy sound that seems to come with cheaper reverb plugins. It think there is something going with the reverb here on the who song. I can’t put my finger on it other than it feels like the reverb on everything is compressing it all into a narrow tunnel. I feel like my ear wants to hear it brighten up and be crisper. I listened to this about 8 times and it is really a crazy catchy tune with a awesome combination of different genres put together. It’s like surf song meets the Mighty Lemon Drops meets post punk. Love this, I would buy this mp3.

1 Like

This sounds sixtyish and is just great. I love different. I know yur not stupid :slight_smile:

What a fun ride this was. bgv’s just kept on pushin. congrats

2 Likes

Thanks @WeGotLost and @feaker. Very glad you enjoyed it. It was definitely a trip down memory lane for me.

I’ll see what I can do about the reverb. I was trying to not overdo it. Maybe it’s partly because I double tracked the guitars (even the leads) and each has it’s own reverb, so maybe they’re stacking up and hitting at slightly different times? I appreciate the feedback! And I’ll have to check out Mighty Lemon Drops. I’m always looking for new music to listen to at work. I’ve been on a Fugazi kick for the last several days.

1 Like

I think it might be just too many verbs going on. But that may be a the sound for this song. Everyone likes different toppings on their burger. :slight_smile: Fugazi is brings back my childhood days. They were slightly ahead of their time. I love “Give Me The Cure”.

1 Like

I just watched the Salad Days documentary. Pretty good show if you’re a fan. I had the same thought; they were ahead of their time. The DC hardcore punk sounds so old school and then a Fugazi song would play and it sounded so much more modern. They have lots of great tunes. I especially like Merchandise. A fellow fan, awesome!

That Taylor is perfect for this style! Love this tune too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Holst!

I’m starting to look at getting an acoustic, not that my wife’s GS mini is bad at all. So like we all do when we’re GASing, I’ve been deep diving into the finer details.

You said the GS mini was perfect for this song. What made you think that? I’m thinking the more mid-forward tone of a smaller guitar was a nice compliment to this style. For this reason I’ve been leaning towards a 000 body size rather than a bassy Dread. And leaning towards mahogany instead of rosewood, with a spruce top.

So on paper, in my mind, and according to YouTube comparison videos, a Martin 000-18 would be my ideal acoustic. Especially since it will be mainly for recording, and I like the slightly shorter scale for leads and my weak electric guitar hands. Thoughts? Know anyone selling a good used one?

How did I miss your reply?? In terms of what made me think that was a good fit, I think it was mostly because the smaller bodied acoustics are a little more mid-forward. Less lows. I just thought it sat nice in the mix for that style. I think you’re probably right about the dreadnaught style. The big lows and jangly highs may not fit quite right with the genres you play. Then again… one of each never hurts :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

For a random guitar to utilize for a redo of an old punk song, I don’t think it could have sounded any better, dude. It’s a great song, full of expressiveness and authenticity in every part. First, you delivered it perfectly. I doubt I would ever have guessed it was originally punk, but I semi imagine it now that you told us. Makes me curious what that version sounded like…

Thank you for sharing, my friend!