Please help me figure this out!

I appreciate honest feedback. It’s actually one of our guitar players singing the track and our vocalist doing backups in this song. It was a song that our guitarist wrote years ago, on his own, and wanted to record. We may re-visit the vocals at some point

The big problem is that, I have been saving over top of the original mix in my DAW, so there isn’t really any turning back now! Rookie mistake

1 Like

I will work on the compression in the drum overheads and room mic. Any suggestions on where to start with settings? Also, I didn’t even realize that gain staging was a thing between plug-ins, so I will take a look at that as well. There is a tape sim on the mix buss.

The bridge is something that I haven’t been completely happy with. Doing the vocals again is pretty easy, but I’m not sure if it will turn out much different. It almost feels like an awkward thing for him to sing. May give it a try or get our singer to try it. I will talk to my drummer as well about doing something a bit different.

Thanks for the feedback! I will get back at it tomorrow, hopefully, and re-post a mix.

Ah, there’s a room mic - I would suggest starting there - Try rolling some high end off it - that might help with the “jumpiness”. Fast attack times on the compressor are best for clamping down quickly on spiky transients in your overheads or room mics…

…And yes, if you’re burying the needle of the simulated VU meters of the tape sim plug in the red, I reckon you might find that if you back it down until it’s just bouncing quickly into the red on the loudest transients, things will clean up quite a bit.

1 Like

I had to push this song out of my head for a few days. I had a busy week at work, and now I’m back to it, it’s hard to remember where I left off!

I tried to do a bit of compression on the highs in the room mic and worked on some of the gain staging. I also added a very subtle tape sim and reverb to the vocals to help sit them in the mix a little bit better. I’m not sure how much difference it made though.

2 Likes