Please bash my radio ad for Under Milkwood

Hi all,
Would appreciate your feedback on my radio ad for a local theatre production.
I need to get this out quite soon so any help greatly appreciated.
:sunglasses:

Great reverb.

1 Like

I think it sounds good, though the 2nd guy that comes in around 0:19 sounds like heā€™s in a different space than the primary speaker. Of course that may be intentional, but Iā€™d ask if itā€™s the best space? I canā€™t make heads or tails of what the guy is saying, it must be a very strong local accent. Iā€™ll just say that the 2nd guy with the quick comment could fit in a sound space wherever he might be imagined to be in a physical space. The primary speaker sounds fairly close in front of us, but with the reverb he is not real close, and the 2nd guyā€™s voice sounds drier and closer to us which seems like a weird placement. That is probably a nit-picky observation but itā€™s what jumped out at me.

1 Like

@WeGotLost
Thanks James, I sweated for a while on the reverb as the speaker is used to working in high-end studios and I ended up with my usual 3 verbs but quite a different configuration.
@Stan_Halen
Hi Stan, thanks for listeningā€¦ yeah I deliberately didnā€™t give an explanation - I can see that it could sound confusing. The two voices are the one speaker, interrupting himselfā€¦ sort of ā€˜cultured voiceā€™ interrupted by common kiwi voice. The actor/speaker, wrote the script and gave instructions. My job was ā€˜simplyā€™ to record and mix and provide a celtic flavour. For a quick translation/explanation, the play is being performed in the Mangawhai Library Hall, - the 2nd voice pronounces it wrong and implies that the play sounds like itā€™s about the local town. Both vocal takes have almost identical processing, just tiny differences so itā€™s interesting that they come across quite differently. I did pan vox 2, otherwise it was same person, different vocalising.

My next challenge is to create a soundtrack for the live performances. tricksy project but Iā€™m really enjoying it.

2 Likes

Sounds spot-on to me, Emma - well done!

1 Like

I like. The reverb sounds just right to me.

1 Like

Sounds great Emma!

Now thereā€™s the name of the next @bozmillar pluginā€¦ ThreeVerb! :laughing:

1 Like

Yay, thanks so much! Quite a few new learning bits for me here, working with someone else in my studio and to their clear expectations. It has been interesting moving gear around for the live practicesā€¦ I realised how ā€˜set in my waysā€™ I had become. Great to try new things but can be a bit unnerving, thanks for the vote of confidence! Client is rapt but I have an overactive inner criticā€¦ :sunglasses:

Excellent Emma. Like the dude popping in on my right ear. ha ha Folks in high places are gonna be hunting you down.
ps I just got my headphones working again. Yaaaay. Dell help line wasnā€™t any help. Did it myself???

1 Like

Thanks Paul! Great you got the 'phones working again!!
I was best pleased with how I managed to shape his vocal, didnā€™t know that I could do that!
:crazy_face:

It sounds great.

1 Like

Then I think the one speaker did a great job of separating the character voices. I noticed the 2nd voice panned off to the right so it felt like an ā€œasideā€ to the main speaker. Not knowing what was being said in the 2nd voice did remove some of the context for me perhaps.