Personality_Pyhos_mixdown

Thank you for your response. P.

Thank you for your response. P

pretty good sounding mix… the bass seems a little overpowering the kick… maybe try HPF the bass a little to give more space for the kick…

Diggin the drum sound - nice “woody” sounding snare with well judged space around it. Bass is nice and full in the low end, yet audible in the mids.
Vocals sound lovely - really clear and up front - perfect for this genre. This is really a pleasure to listen to

About the only thing I noticed was that the sub bass in the kick is a tad on the hot side - it’s pulsing my sub more prominently than I would expect for a rock track like this.
Very nice!

I like full kicks (not too cut), but maybe you’re right. On the other hand, the track isn´t so fast (no speedy punk :slight_smile: ), so I assumed, that mix can handle more bass on the kick.
Thank You very much for Your opinion. P

Sounds pretty good to me. Good balance overall. I’m listening on PC speakers right now so I can’t judge the subs, but what comes through is solid enough. Overall pretty tasty. Good job!

Well done mix. A little bit like it is hitting the limiter too hard for my ears in a couple of places (chorus). It could just be my ears are getting tired. The mix builds well and the vocals are really well treated.

1 Like

Thank You for Your opinion. P.

Thank You for Your response. I used a very decent limiting. RMS maximum of the mixdown track is about -10 dB.
I’d rather observe -18 dBVU, but analog dynamic times are irretrievably gone.

1 Like

yeah i think my ears are just tired and i have a bit of a head cold.

Hey, cool mix here. I really like how vocals are easy to listen to, easy to understand. Nice width as well.
On the mixing-side, it seems that some compressors are working a bit too much and finally it lacks of some dynamics that create contrasts. Distorted guitars sound very flat to me, for instance.

By the way, nice job indeed!

pretty nice mix!
I like vocal sound!

Thank You for Your response. P.

Hey Pyhos, nice mix. Good balances overall, although I agree that the drums could use a little more punch. (I used optical and VCA compressors on the kick (for consistency) and I added a snare sample to bring out the lighter hits.) Vocals sound good… Maybe brighten some elements, like the overheads and acoustics, to separate them… Nice one!

If you have the chance to listen to my mix and comment, I’d be eternally grateful… (Well, maybe not eternally:yum:)
[Update] I included a link to my mix post to make listening/commenting easy, but others don’t appear to be doing that… I’m new here; can someone let me know how (or if) this is done? Thanks!

Mike K Mix of Personality

Hey there Pyhos :slight_smile:
One thing that grabs my ears from the start is the frequency balance of the mix, you have a very nasty buildup of frequencies at 1.15 kHz, which leads to the whole mix sounding a little bit honky (old radio style) and tiny. Try reducing the frequency I mentioned on your master Bus EQ by 3.5 - 4 dB and listen what happens, it opens up a mix, in a nice sounding way. It’s not a bad practice to do this on a daily basis, just load up any song you like in your DAW, and start boosting some frequencies to listen to how they sound (you could do this by one octave increments say start with 31Hz, then 63, 125, 250 etc.). Then try cutting them and listen how they sound. Same thing when applied to your own mixes quickly opens up your ears to what is deficient or whats too much of in the frequency spectrum. You have dedicated software to help you practice this (Harman - How to listen is one of them and I believe it’s free) and I should encourage you to try them out. Other than that, just a preference thing, I would use a different kick and snare samples, The kick is, well, to klicky for a lack of better word (sounds like castanets in the upper mids) and the snare could use a bit more bottom end and some compression to punch it up (slower attack time to let the transient of the snare pass through unaffected, and a faster release time if you want more of the body of the snare as well, or longer release if you want to accent only the attack).
Nice sounding vocals, just be careful with the sibilance, try to tame it with a de-esser, or just cut the offending S and T’s from the main vocal track, and move them to a new track, and de-ess them separately, that way you wont be bringing up the sibilance every time you go for a high shelf, distortion, enhancer or a compressor plugin on the main track. If you even want to go old school, make your own de-esser, use a compressor that has an internal side-chain, then boost the hell out of the frequency that is most prominent in the sibilance, and that way it will react only to that frequency. Who said de-essing can’t be fun :slight_smile:
Other that above mentioned you really did a great job, looking forward to hearing your mixes in the future :slight_smile:

Good mix man…love the guitars…just the bass a little to subby warm…cool though. Vocal is on point!

Thank You very much for Your response. P

Hey Pyhos,

this is my first post here and I will upload my first mix shortly.

I like your mix, especially the vocal and the guitar sound.

I think you should look at the balance between base and kick. I think the base overpowers the kick. It also sounds muddy to my ears.

The rest of the drums could do with some more punch, especially snare and toms.

Other than that, it is a great mix.
Good luck.

This is a very modern sounding mix, the sort of thing I struggle with, I’m jealous. On that note, listening to this on headphones it sounds like I’m listening to this on the radio which to me means that if you back off the compression on the 2buss you’ll have a radio ready mix here.
I like the drums, they’re punchy and tight and I while I like the heavy distortion you used the heavy distortion you used on the rhythm guitar on the chorus, I think it fights the vocal a little bit during the verse.
Mind you I’m nitpicking here, I liked this mix.

Thank You very much. P.