Personal challenge of a song every 10 days met

I will be getting a better sound and will redo this.

It’s a rocker, don’t need anything fancy, I say. 3-string chords are my bread and butter. :bread: :butter: It’s a cool guitar riff, kind of ominous sounding. Like tyranny and oppression met by popular uprising. Let’s go Brandon! :grin:

1 Like

I’m not crazy about that BOSS sound you’re getting but I’d bet it would sound much better if you manually doubled the riff and wide-panned each take to left and right. The clean flange guitar that I heard at the end doesn’t seem to add any beneficial element to the sound. The distorted guitar seems a bit heavy in the lower mids. Maybe you should EQ the doubled guitar part to brighten up the sound on the second take, which you can pan to the right.

At first I was thinking that I didn’t really like the guitar riff but I think you can give it more life by making it more staccato and some minor alterations. I’m sure you can get something good out of this.

1 Like

I just gave away a line 6 amp because I didn’t like the sounds. I mess with the 5 guitar pickups and all the boss settings and haven’t found one yet. Back in the early 70’s I had a fender amp that I loved. One knob when pulled out gave you grit and pushed in clean. So many great sounds there. Out trailer left the hitch and everything was ruined including going to a gig. My ES335 that broke in half.
the bride cryed. I should have replaced or fixed that amp. You are right on the flanger. I can copy and paste that one track, but just maybe I will give it one more try. I also think now that riff can be stopped off and on when the lyrics are added. Time to experiment a bit. There are a ton of presets I can try. thanks for stopping by Mr W

1 Like

My suggestion would be to make some space. Think ACDC - “Back In Black”, “You Shook Me” etc. Strategic pauses between the riffs give more impact and make the riffs sound bigger, plus they make space for the vocals. Worth a try, maybe?

Holy crap I hate and love your comment. You are not going to believe it but I thought of back in black as well. Yes space. What are the chances it would be the same group and that particular song. I don’t like the riff anymore either. I have to start over and the clock is burnin. The last of good weather here, so studio time will be easier.
Unreal you laid all those tracks down in 5 days. Must have been some stimulants involved. thanks for your precious time ole friend

Haha I wrote a song a day - not the same as recording/producing/mixing. That takes me MUCH longer.

1 Like

Just writing a song per day is nuts as well. Original ideas getting very hard to come by. My song is done and is not the best. Met my challenge tho. Mind is blank right now? something will pop I’m sure. take care

The song seems to now have much more of an identity and character. I liked the way you went, “Boom, Boom, Boom………,BOOM at the end. The long pause before the last Boom is a cool idea.

I think you can get a much better guitar sound if you download a free Guitar Amp simulator. It’s possible that you can improve the sound that you already got by clearing some of the mud out of the tone with EQ.

1 Like

I have no idea what and amp sim is. I wish I could sit with you for a couple hours and learn something. I play back a single guitar and it make me nauseous. thanks mr W for your comments
If you have a suggestion for an amp sim, I could get my granddaughter to help me next week :slight_smile:

1 Like

An amp simulator is pretty much a “virtual amp”. You can download a free Amp Sim online and load it in your DAW. From there you can open the Amp Simulator plugin, just like you open your other plugins. Just one simple click and your Amp Sim opens and you’ll see a User Interface that show an amplifier with all the buttons and dials that usually come with amplifiers (ex. Distortion, Presence, Treble, Bass, Mid, Drive, Reverb….etc.). You can often get a decent sound without having to adjust any of the knobs and most Amp Sims come with a variety of Amp models to choose from.

I used to use a free amp sim called AmpLion but one day it stopped working. Even though I had an account with that company, all my plugins that I had with them, simply stopped working.

I also used Bias Amps amp sims and they still work but I don’t often use them, though they are decent sounding.

Here’s a link to some Amp Simulators/ Emulators (virtual amps).
If you google “free amp simulators” you’ll find lots of good free stuff.

1 Like

Wow. thanks so much for your homework. I think I can handle this. I can pull EZ drummer into the session, so this looks doable. I usually buy from sweetwater because they install it right into my studio one for me. I should update from studio 1. I worry about the learning curve tho. I also will try some of these that you have listed. I just know that after I tune my guitar with my boss, I cringe just knowing I will not find anything I like. I usually just stay on tune and overdrive the signal with my guitar cranked to 10. ha ha
Also I am going to seek out folks that I could hire to do some tracks. My playing really takes away from my work. I would like to get a few tracks to sparkle before I croak. Also my hands lock up after only a few minutes. I literally have to pull them apart. ahhhh…old age sucks. Gonna mess with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try Scuffham amps S-Gear. They give you a free trial period. It sounds great and feels like a real amp. It works like a plug in.

1 Like

Try Scuffham amps S-Gear. They give you a free trial period. It sounds great and feels like a real amp. It works like a plug in.

Hey Bob. It felt good to do some rock again. Our band was all about that. Just hard to have enthusiasm starting a track with crap sounds. If I ever get a good tone, I will crank it up again. I checked out the price and it was pretty cheap and the reviews were good too.
Heading out tomorrow for a couple weeks so no more studio for that duration. Shit

Thanks for the info and rock on bro

feaker,
Wow, I don’t recall ever hearing your vocals distorted like that! It works on this song, which sounds good. Reminds me at times of ZZ-Top (a compliment). I like everything about the song…Boom! :slight_smile:

1 Like