One more track to bash (trad metal)

I’m listening to this on my laptop. Sounds like you captured the spirit of the genre very well.

The rythm guitars sound too muffled at the beginning of the song. I’d try to clear them up with some EQ. Even some of the lead licks could use a bit more clarity.

At first I thought the drums sounded too “garage”, but I actually started to appreciate the vibe they have, as the song progressed.

The vocals aren’t really my thing but they do have that rough, underground 80’s metal/ garage feel. Everything here fits that era of underground metal. Good job!

2 Likes

Thanks for checking it out.

1 Like

The song itself is a lot of fun, very catchy, and has a ton of energy in all departments. The vocals were excellent; however, to me they need to be a bit clearer, maybe just louder, because there seemed to be a lot of lyrics. The guitar and drums particularly stood out, although I’m sure the bass was keeping up,

This is a very good mix of a solid song, but it may not be the final mix.

1 Like

Steban, what do you think could be improved upon besides Vox levels?

I am listening again, @Descent, and you have done a superb job mixing an excellent arrangement of a great headbanging trad metal song, The transition at 3 minutes adds a second wind to the song with the beat changes, in fact, the song seems to breathe more deeply from there on. All really good and dynamic! So good I think the beginning feels almost like a warm up.

So there is so very little to change, dude, that any changes might upset this balance you have achieved. That said, it is possible you could rotate once or twice through the instruments in the first half a little relative volume boost to briefly feature each as they each are playing their hearts out nonstop. I’m not technical, so how you do that best I know not.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks!

Very nice guitar licks in the solo.

I’m not crazy about the quarter notes on the snare at 2:48…but it does kind of make me smile. Sounds like the drummer is just joking around. The snare tends to eat up a big swath of the audio space at that part of the song because it’s so loud and full. Another way of looking at it would be to think it’s quirky and it has a unique character. I can see it either way.

Just came across this track, It’s a very cool track, I really like the energy and attitude, it’s just a lot of fun, this would not be out of place at a gathering with my friends.

What would I suggest to try to get this track to the next level? The track has a very live feel, there’s a few places where there are some timing issues, the guitars sound pretty tight, but there are places where the drums falls behind ever so slightly, most noticeably at a few of the fills almost all the way to the end.
The crashes are a little out of control for my tastes, I would bring them down and bring up the kick a bit, adjust the snare to balance it out if necessary.

Like I said, as it is, it has a great “live” feel, if this is what you’re going for than I’d only bring the kick up a little bit as well as the guitars at the beginning, but if you’re going for a definitive version of the song, I would tighten up the timing and control the drums a bit more, for this track I’d reference the drums on Paranoid by Black Sabbath or maybe Ace Of Spades by Motorhead.

Everything sounds pretty tight. Definitely getting some Maiden vibes. Maybe automate in some of the runs to boost a hair of volume?

Thank you all, this track is coming out tomorrow as “Fortune…” on my band’s bandcamp page (after rigorous mixing and mastering by that I gave to a friend who is a ME):