On My Way - test recording (for bash)

High school student. Original song. Free recording (to test some stuff).

No autotune or automation applied yet. Recorded to a click. Both sources through Blue Robbie preamps, and Avid HDi/o converters.

Vocal Mic = Blue Bottle w/B8 capsule.
Distressor -> 1167 -> 1073. Phoenix verb (room), Bricasti (chamber), Devil Loc (crush) in parallel.

Guitar (Taylor 814CE) = Blue Bottle w/b0 capsule. (Elam 251 reference).
Stock PT EQ -> 1176 -> SPL transient Designer -> LA2A. Same Aux busses. Mic placed at (players) right of the sound hole directly on axis.

Smashed to shit with an L1 limiter.

6db cut at 400Hz (minimum) and a large slice of de-esser and you’re good to go.

Damnit!! lol. That’s the exact same thing you said on the last bash. I must have a nasty standing wave or hearing loss at that frequency or something.

Some of my WJHW designed traps are tuned to target around 350-400. Maybe I have too many of them in that room. That’s actually the third or fourth time someone has mentioned that exact same frequency.

Its gotta be this room. All three of the vocals (on the different tracks) were all recorded in different buildings, with different singers, and different mics. The common denominator here is me and this new room.

Thanks though! Much appreciated.

Are you using a spectrum analyser? I mean, it’s pretty obvious, even without the SA. I spotted it on my AKG £25 cans.

Yes. I had it on all 3 tracks (gtr, vox, and 2 bus). I saw it but I let it go because I couldn’t hear it.

The last time you mentioned it, I heard it but wasn’t sure what to do with it.

If that’s the case the room is hiding the reality of that frequency so when you mix you aren’t hearing what ends up in the final mixdown. Treatments definitely need to be based off specific measurements. I always double check my pre master mixdowns on multiple speakers \ headphones \ etc before exporting for the last time. Then I do it all over again. I still need to submit my stuff to get bashed lol