NU METAL / DEFTONES-ish song/mix

Hey guys,

I have yet to fully finish this mix. probably tomorrow. The song is an original from a band that I’m producing at the moment. It still has some issues like poking toms on the 3rd verse and unbalanced backing growls. but aside from that, I think i have everything covered… OR DO I? :slight_smile: I figured I’d post this early to get some perspective from you guys and be pointed on the right direction before I finish the job. how’s it doin on your end? i hope you could help me out and thanks in advance.

regards,
Brian

EDIT: Suggestions in comments applied - more dynamic drums and a little fader balancing to compensate for the drum dynamics

1 Like

It feels a quite drum heavy to me. Not only are the drums really busy, especially at the beginning, but they are really loud.

When the chorus hits, it feels like it doesn’t hit as hard as it should. It could be that it’s because the drums are still dominating that the guitars feel small.

1 Like

all right noted boz :slight_smile: I’ve already done some automation on the drums but i guess it didnt quite cut it. thanks for the time listening to the track :slight_smile:

maybe a titch drum heavy overall but some of that isnt in your control. Im speaking of the drum beat itself lol. sort of just keeps trying to dominate the song

not bad overall though

1 Like

Sounding good.

I agree about the drums. Maybe try to give the drums a totally different treatment in the verses to the choruses. Make them smaller, narrower, thinner, with both less bottom and top end in the verses. Then open them up full in the choruses. The song should hit much harder overall then.

Some harmonies/vocal stacks would open up the choruses more too. Cool track!

1 Like

thanks for the tips @bozmillar @Jon-Jon and @ColdRoomStudio. It was really a great help. I did a remix incorporating your suggestions and i attached it on the uppermost post. hows it doing?
I also have some points that im unsure of. Maybe you could confirm whats goin on with those too :slight_smile:
-vocal sibilance
-woofy bass or bass fighting with guitars.

is its just me or are those also apparent on your end?
I am currently mixing the vocals layers on chorus parts so it would really sound full.
thanks in advance guys and i hope you could still help me out :slight_smile: cheers!!!