Nostalgia Thread - Past Glories (or not!)

What a great pic this is Dave. The lighting is so good. Maybe you had a zit on your left cheek?

It is tough to play a flawless set especially under pressure. Confidence booster for sure.

Your playing on our “hate born from ignorance” made that track, especially the nylon solo. yepper

Fun thread

Well, I did pack the audience with family…! :wink:

2 Likes

Well here is my nostalgic link…

Twenty piece string orchestra then back-in-the-day… atrocious recording!

6 Likes

Very nice, Emma !! Love it !

1 Like

Whoa! So you’re “Kirsten Vogue”?!!? Very catchy stage name! :grin: WE WANT PUBLICITY SHOTS! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

haha… would have to dig deeply to find them!! And I am allergic to dust…

2 Likes

This could have been a James Bond theme! This pretty much sounds exactly like the same production team who did “For Your Eyes Only”!

1 Like

They modelled me on Kate Bush. Jon Kelly produced, Max Middleton arranged strings… Abbey rd studio 2… o Ian Bairnson did the geetar solo… woop woop

6 Likes

Yep, it is very much “of the time”, but it’s nostalgiacool in its own way… so, what’s the story “Kirsten Vogue”? Did the the powers that be decide there was only room for one Kate Bush at the top of the charts? Give us the dirt on the whole tragic episode!

… which reminds me of this - did you catch it?

2 Likes

And still available in vinyl! Very cool @Emma you win the nostalgia grand prize, I love that sound.

3 Likes

Rocking back and forth…spilled my coffee. good stuff for sure

1 Like

just wow what a treat to the ear! and with the vintage vinyl pops !
Beautiful Orchestral arrangement, question though… do you still have the score on paper??
I would love to take a gander at it. Maybe a modern remake project?? :innocent:

3 Likes

I’ll add one for the fun of it.
This was last year. Audio mix is strait off the videographers camera microphone. No audio editing, overdubs, or autotune at all.

4 Likes

This was a fun one back in 2011 - tour bus, live stage, backstage clips in this video

3 Likes

OMG Unreal talent. Journey??? Which one is you. Never heard better. wow

Awesome Jonno! Do you still have the shirt?

Both the audio and footage in each of those videos are very good. You captured the live sound REALLY well. I’ll be back to watch and listen to both those videos again!

Those shirts are pretty cool, too!

2 Likes

Thanks Michelle. Re the score - o gosh no… I was ‘only’ the singer songwriter and for that song, caught up in the MEGA machine of EMI production… never even got to see the arrangements… by the time the orchestra came into the studio, they were rehearsed and ready for action… my startled discoveries of significant key change and timing/tempo changes were met with incredulity… (snort).
An amazing adventure but a ghastly time too…

so they never checked the key, tempo and arrangement with the lead singer :roll_eyes: :exploding_head:
basically threw you in the shark tank and expected you to improvise on the clock…
you did REALLY good though! big props

1 Like

Here’s my claim to fame from a long time ago. My band made it onto a Homegrown album from Station W4 in Detroit. There were a couple of well known bands on the record, most notably The Romantics. This song is called Get It In Writing, which I wrote and played guitar on. I was walking through a mall one day and heard it, and thought I had it made.
6 Likes