No broken vocal check

Again I have not really started mixing, in fact I have some more recording to do. I am just curious as to what you would do to this vocal. It was recorded by someone else and given to me with some processing baked in. I am just wondering if it needs more mids removed or added or highs, is is too much saturation, etc?

Itā€™s an interesting vocal. I kind of like the somewhat ā€˜rawā€™ quality of the performance, even though it does seem processed already. My first thought is just some reverb (like plate?) to push it back in the mix just a little bit. The sound is okay, but a little bit brash since it seems so ā€˜directā€™. Iā€™d try putting some space around it, and maybe set it back in the mix just a little (with the reverb), so the other instruments can come out a touch more. Maybe compress it a bit too, or a bit more, to even it out. Seems like this could use drums or some sort of percussion for accompaniment, even if very minimal. The acoustic guitar does that a little bit, but it seems like something is missing beat-wise.

1 Like

Hi Donā€™t like the breath ha in or what ever. Sorry those long draw notes needed a little vibato or something. If you are going to sing the long notes, you might want to speed the whole mix up a bunch. IMHO Glad this is someone else we donā€™t know. Itā€™s all pretty bad. Sorry for having to say that. I just lost interest right away.

1 Like

Yeah cool that is what I needed to hear. I will play around with that as I finish recording the other parts and mixing the instruments.

The drums come in a little later. I am going to have a cello hear that should help to add persuasiveness. Thanks so much for the feedback.

Ha ha this is me singing it is someone else who recorded it. I am glad you didnā€™t know though because I appreciate all honest feedback. I am too old to hold anything too dearly and I know that not everything is every bodies taste. Like for example I donā€™t ever sing with vibrato because that is not my taste. I am willing to try singing it again but I think that you would not like that any better so I may just see what I can get from this. Thanks again for your feedback.

When you said it was recorded by someone else, it threw me off. I have lost more friends here than I have made with those comments. It is personal when you say something like that. Shit again. I am all done with honesty. From now on fluff only.

1 Like

no way man stay honest. You will not lose me as a friend from comments like that. I have plenty thick skin and I know that the creative process like anything is a learning process. Not everything I make is good in fact probably most is not but that is part of the process. keep hitting me with it, it is all good.

Iā€™m a bit late to the party hereā€¦ hereā€™s my take.

I quite like the vocalistā€™s tone, especially in the lower register. I also like the sound of the vocal overall. That said, the vocal does sound pretty dry and disconnected from the mix, though.

In this really exposed context, the breaths donā€™t sound natural - they almost sound like short gasps. Iā€™m guessing that might be baked in compression causing that. I think you could probably get away with breaths like that if the backing was a dense rock mix, but it sounds out of place in this setting.

The higher, sustained notes sound a bit strange, like all the natural vibrato has been flattened, and some of the note transitions sound kind of ā€œwrongā€. For example, the word ā€œAliveā€ (at 17 seconds before the end of the clip) - It sounds like the tuning has selected an out of key note for the ā€œaā€ of ā€œa-liveā€.

I would suggest using some delay on the vocals for those big chorus sections (at least), to give some sense of space to the vocals.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

yes that is probably the case. I will do something with those breathes.

I will check the tuning I donā€™t remember there being any flattening but I may have done some as this was done a couple of years ago now.

Yes that helps a tonne. THanks so much for the feedback.