New Win10 laptop for recording

I am thinking of taking the plunge of getting a new machine for recording, was wondering what you think of this one:

ASUS - ROG G531GT 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 - 512GB Solid State Drive - Black

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-g531gt-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/6335589.p?skuId=6335589

or

Dell - G7 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 256GB Solid State Drive - Licorice Black

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g7-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-256gb-solid-state-drive-licorice-black/6212436.p?skuId=6212436

These both are a little light on the RAM but I can upgrade that later.

I plan to use a Tascam US-16x08 which I do my band multitracking and for home will probably get an Audient interface as I don’t need more than 2 mic inputs at a time.

I also currently have an Edirol UA-4FX that I use when traveling.

Setup will be Studio One 4 Pro, EZDrummer, some IK synths (Miroslav, etc.), Amplitube, T-Racks and Ozone 8 for mastering.

I guess I am not really locked into Intel or laptop, it could be desktop as I have two aging laptops that can still run 16 track sessions without issues.

Wondering how the Razen compares, the AMD Razen 7 more specifically, in the past I’ve used AMD machines that I’ve built and been very happy with them. I still have my old AM3 workstation running WinXP for pulling archival recording that I did back then.

I have a hard time believing that either of those will have a tough time keeping up with any recording projects.

Even my older i7 ( think I last bought a computer 4 years ago or so) doesn’t break a sweat at all when mixing. If I see a plugin taking up more than 0.7% CPU on this machine, I consider it a CPU hog. The nastiest VI’s can take 2% when I’m pushing them hard. It’s just such a non-issue. The only issue I ever run into is RAM (32 gb), but that’s only when using tons of big sample libraries without freezing.

Are you going to be tracking to you main hard drive or to an external?

Almost tempted to pull trigger on a HP gaming certified refurb desktop.

I have external drives I swap out as tape drives for different projects, but lately honestly its whatever comes first.

I’ve discovered Kazrog and IRs in general are huge resource hogs. Tracks and Ozone really brought my current laptop to its knees.

On my machine, NadIR uses 0.1% cpu to run a short stereo impulse with zero plugin latency.

In my case 4 Kazrog amps and 8 Nadir IRs running at extreme (4 instances but loaded with 2 cabs each) up kind a bit of real estate.
8 or more and it brings the system to its knees.
I don’t think it is NadIR but it’s the Kazrog+NadIR