New tune: I made a cake, and a mistake

Up for your bashing, a fun poppy punk tune. I learned a lot from my last one. I’m trying to get the bass to be a little more full and warm, the guitars bigger, vocals more up front, and the cymbals a little less harsh.

I moved on from my last project because it’s not fun to mix the same song for hours on end. And it was so disorganized. So moving on, I hope you enjoy “I made a cake, and a mistake”. It mixes serious with lighthearted themes.

Lyrics:

I make mistakes
I can’t escape
So I took the plunge and now I know that it’s not safe

I baked a cake
It caught on on fire
Our dreams went up in smoke
It was your birthday cake

When asked if you care at all
You said no never
I still remember last fall
memories are forever

I baked a cake
It caught on on fire
You’re such a liar
Why do my friends all live so very far

I hate my cat
when it attacks
Our wounds are healed
but never gone

In summary
It is a mystery

When asked if you care at all
You said no never
I still remember last fall
memories are forever

So in summary…

I make mistakes
I burned a cake
My cat’s unhinged
Gets underneath my skin
Our dreams went up in smoke
It’s serious not a joke
I would never joke about this
It’s too serious

1 Like

Great fun for sure. The song went 4 seconds and cut out. Had to go down to 35 sec to hear

I have been fifteen min just tryi;ng to type. nuthin working will revisit later…sorry

1 Like

Great tune! I liked it and I think everything is well done. Vocals might be a bit low in parts and if I were mixing I’d try and put more of an edge on them in general but that’s just me. Everything takes a jump about 1:20 for some reason? Nice hook at 1:54, great idea.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Listened again. Trying to think of a bash??? Maybe more words needed in the chorus to differentiate from the verse. A stretch I know. Loved the guitar tones, the break in general, and especially the vibe. I now know why I had trouble before. It doesn’t show a cursor. Odd and difficult. congrats once again…some many different lyrics could be use in this

1 Like

Thanks, and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Great tune, you’ve definitely got the feel down right. I like the lyrical twists and turns. The bass is nice and warm, it might need a little bite on the top end for articulation, but other than that it was a good listen. Well done.

1 Like

flyguitarfish,
I have mixed feelings about the the two “crash-downs”, but otherwise I think it all sounds very good! Nice audio quality. What state or country are you from? I’m guessing you are American.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I’m definitely struggling with several aspects of my mixes. When I get the snare sounding how I want, the crash bleed is too harsh. Still playing with positioning of mics and trying not to bash my cymbals too hard. Overall, drum quality is slowly improving. It’s a constant battle.

I know what you’re saying about the “crash downs”. I sometimes feel like I don’t have enough options with my right hand to emphasize parts of the song. It’s either closed hat, open hat, crash, or ride. I did add a second set of hats on the right set at “sizzle” to change things up. They sound more “trashy” in the room, but unfortunately sound almost identical to my other hats when recorded. Like I said, constant battle!

Check out the instrumental tune I posted several days ago. I think it got buried in the forum, but I really like the drum sounds I was getting. Even the toms sounded good for once!

I’m in Oregon, USA! You?