New song with amazing slap bass player from Japan; will return favor

I came across a slap bass and drum recording on the internet called “Em Slap Bass” by MMMBass (he is from Japan). I thought his slap bass playing was really fantastic, and he agreed to let me add more to it. I added more drums, all guitar, vocals, keyboards, and some studio trickery. Please tell me how you like it and how it can be improved, and I will return the favor. The resulting title is “Em Slap Bass-Go With The Flow”, and is at the top of this link:

https://www.soundclick.com/aaronaardvark

2 Likes

Wow, that sure is some impressive bass playing! Nice bass tone too. I really enjoyed the energy here. The drums really fit the bass as well. Vocals are pretty zany, and they suit the style of song.

I think I would have liked the song to develop some more - it kind of just got going, and then stopped. You definitely left the audience wanting more!

My comments on the mix would be that it’s a little muddy and lacking in punch. The bass could probably use pulling out some low mids and lows, and the compression on the drums is rounding off the transients a bit too much. Maybe a little slower attack time on your drum compressor or mix buss compressor would help?

A couple of good (relatively recent) references to compare the mix to would be Bruno Mars’/Mark Ronson’s “Uptown Funk”, or something off The Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ “Unlimited Love” album. Getting the overall sound a little closer to those would just really improve the overall general appeal of the mix.

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

First off bud, me trying to offer help after Andy is like me giving tips to Michael Jordan how to dunk.
It first sounded like the group Chicago, but on steroids.
I’m not sure how, but it would be a song that could build a bit until you want the slap to start. The dude is very talented, but that riff “to me” gets old pretty fast.
I wonder if a rap style delivery would work. Foot tapper for sure.
No favor to return, but I have a rock song I will be posting down the line :slight_smile: carry on

Great energy on the track. Lots of seemingly incongruous elements that make sense after you listen a few times. As mentioned above, it would be cool to develop this further.
Nice job!

ColdRoomStudio,
Thank you for listening and commenting; I appreciate it!

feaker,
Thank you for checking out the song, and reviewing it! I won’t complain about being compared to Chicago, even if it’s mostly because of MMMBass (I wish I knew his real name, but he wouldn’t tell me)…though I did come up with the horn parts. Speaking of Chicago, I have talked to Spencer Davis (from the Spencer Davis Group) at least twice. Spencer used to live on Catalina Island, and I have been there a bunch of times. Spencer claimed he wrote “I’m a Man”; it was a hit for Chicago too. Though wikipedia says Steve Winwood and record producer Jimmy Miller wrote the song.

1 Like

StylesBitchley,
Thank you for checking out my song and reviewing it! I appreciate it!