New song to review (will return the favor) as of Jan. 15th!

I put a new song in my music website called “Really Really Need You”. If you review my song, I can return the favor if you wish (leave me a link). Please tell me how you like the song and how it can be improved. My song is at the top of this link:

Hi Aaron - very cool sounds happening here. Even though the vocal is very effected, I can still make out most of the lyrics. I like the melodies you have going to - they are pretty inventive and distinctive.

The mix sounds clear and wide, with nice beefy sounding low end. Personal taste for me: I’d probably eq the midrange in those tom-tom sounds in the second and fourth sections to be a little less “bucket-y”-sounding.

I wonder if the song structure might be improved? The two song sections (verse/chorus?) seem to be a little disconnected from one another. It’s kind of like you told me one story, and then started another without any preamble showing how it related to what you just said.

Related to that is the structure of the song overall. Am I right in saying that the first half of the song is repeated in the second half with an added little interlude at the end?

I could be wrong, but I didn’t discern any development or change in the parts as the song progressed. Even if the lyrics stay the same, I think making some changes and introducing new ideas and sounds can really enhance the emotion conveyed and the telling of the story. Sometimes even taking away parts can create a change that brings a bit emotional impact.

Overall, cool signature sounds!

ColdRoomStudio,
Thank you for the elaborate review! The repetition you describe is accurate. It is common for me to wonder how repetitious I should be. Sometimes repetition can create a catchy groove, and other times become boring with too much repetition. I will now see if I can find any of your music I have yet to review.

Nice rhythmic track, beats are tight and clear. Great tambourine sound (at least I think that is what it is ) sound in a sync pattern with the kick. Nothing to really pick apart in this track, its simple and effective.

Notice a minor reverb issue on the vocal. In certain parts, reverb is clashing with the clarity of the phrases unless you were seeking a bit of a slurred vocal approach (then it might not even be an issue for the type of feeling you may be targeting). It also seems that there might be a bit of reverb clashing on the delayed vocals. If there are stacking voices, might want to check for minor phasing issues.

I would recommend mixing a bit of dry signal or sidechained to get the enunciations a bit more clear and use a dry delay before the reverb envelop kicks in.

Overall a good catchy song!

FluteCafe,
Thank you for the review and the detailed comments! I will now seek out your music.

No review…I am not capable. Love the vibe and the singing. Love the swell guitar or whatever that was. Gotta be a place for this? I don’t make songs anymore, so no favor to return.