New Room

So it looks like I’ll be moving soon, which means I’ll be getting a new studio/office space. I’m more interested in making this room sound good for mixing than I am for tracking, but it will be used for both.

Room size is 17’ x 17’ x 10’. I don’t need to hear about why a square is bad. I already know, and there’s nothing I can do about it. The space is significantly larger than what I have now, and has higher ceilings.

My question is flooring. I can choose carpeted or wood, and I’m kind of torn. I know that wood floors will give me more options in terms of just laying rugs or whatever and that carpet disproportionately kills high freqs and leaves lows unaffected, but man, I’m worried about the decay time in the room. I walked into one that was empty last week and it sounded like an echo chamber.

I guess I can always add more panels if I have to. It might even be big enough to benefit from some diffusors.

Sounds like a great question for @Ethan_Winer to me!!

For a mixing room, you’ll do well with carpet. Plus tons of bass traps and other treatment:

2 Likes

Where you moving Boz. Up in the world?

If by “up” you mean “north” then yes. If by “up” you mean “securing more financial security” then no.

haha. I moved myself down in the world lol. Thats funny.

This won’t help you much with the question about acoustics, but if you google ‘recording studio tracking room’, I’m probably going to be the only person anywhere with dark mahogany floor. Wonder why people other people all insist on choosing light oak, or maple, or spruce or something. Oh well. Different is good right?

The bathroom and machine room and entryway have polished granite floors. My control room is assorted stone. I’m not a huge fan of what that does to the sound, but everyone who walk in says they love how unique it feels. I put a carpet remnant under the mixing console, but not for acoustics. But it feels nice and cozy on my toes if you take your shoes off.

Its mainly for you isn’t it? I’d say screw the acoustics…put in there what you’d like. Walls, ceiling, and corners are much more important.