New Release by Ghostly Beard!

Love this song! We bashed this one a while back here on IRD. Well done @ptalbot! A really smooth and easy to listen to mix. And another outstanding guitar solo too! :beerbanger:

3 Likes

Thanks Mike! I re-tracked the vocals and re-mixed/re-mastered the whole thing since then, and I’m quite happy with how it sounds! :slight_smile:

Did you use the Shure SM-81? Whatever you did use it sounds great on your voice! It’s got a really smooth and warm quality to it.

1 Like

I’ve used an SM7-B which is my go-to mic for vocals nowadays. Works well for me, I think! :slight_smile:

Excellent as ever

Oh, I misread your message! I see you used the SM-81 on the acoustic. And yes, the SM7-B sounds fantastic!

How do you record your lead guitar?

1 Like

I record all electric guitars parts straight from the SPDIF output of my Kemper Profiler into the audio interface (RME Fireface UCX), it’s pretty easy to re-amp as well this way - that is when I remember to record a direct output as well :grin:

2 Likes

Awesome track Patrick - sounds great. The guitar work and tones in particular are stellar!

1 Like

Thanks Andrew! I’m pretty happy about this one! :slight_smile:

Really solid groove, great chorus, solo might be a page out of the Larry Carlton songbook. You just have a natural rhythm on everything you do. Great as always.

1 Like

I soooo agree! Patrick’s solos are so melodic and tastefully done. It’s really a pleasure just to listen through his tracks. …One of my favorites is Night Train. Besides the amazing solo, he also tapped IRD’s own @Emma to do BG vocals… Love it!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @StylesBitchley and @miked!

I always try to say something with guitar solos and make sure they are melodic and somehow “sing-able”… I suppose it’s because I’m no guitar hero and my technique is somewhat limited and I compensate that by making sure each note counts…

In other words, when it comes to guitar solos, I’m more in the camp of Pat Metheny, David Gilmour or Eric Clapton (call me Slowhand, if you want :wink: ) than Steve Vai or Eddie Van Halen. I believe that too many guitarists are showing off and choose to shred as fast as (in)humanely possible but too often forget about feeling and expression… this bores me to no end.

Technique is fine, but at one point you have to forget about it. As Miles Davis said: “You have to know 400 notes that you can play and then pick the right four”… He also said: " In music, silence is more important than sound", which kinds of sums up my approach. :smiley:

2 Likes

What a cool song, I absolutely love the effects on the vocals. The neat thing was, as soon as I hear it, I thought, “man I would love to hear just a touch more of that” and BAMM, there was more. Super job.

1 Like

Glad you like it! And for sure I had fun with the vocals! :slight_smile: I know that some people might think this kind of reverse reverb type of effect gets old quickly, but I thought it was doing the trick nicely here! :slight_smile:

1 Like