New project release, mental health and you wonderful people

Hey gang. Doing that thing where I return cos I have something to share.
In short, my newest project, Longlea Lane, have just released our 4 song EP. My musical partner, Louise, writes the songs, I produce all of the music. Best described (maybe) as ethereal pop, alternative pop… something like that maybe.

The longer version:
But as a side note, I’d like to acknowledge the crew here, in particular, Andrew @ColdRoomStudio.
Before the pandemic and well into it, I found for the first time in my life, my passion for making music had faded and there was little or no desire to fire up the studio gear. This project came along hot on the heels of another offer that came out of the blue and it was back, burning as bright as ever.
I posted a mix of one of the songs that we were working on to get some feedback. And the responses were good, but there was plenty of constructive criticism regarding the lack of movement and dynamics, something the song screamed for. I knew it too. But at the time, I was struggling with general wellbeing and felt I was drowning with what i had on my plate that I did not have the energy to make changes to the music at that stage. I know what was said was correct and accurate, but had no reserves yet to re-mix the song.
Eventually, as the other songs came together, I made deliberate moves to free myself up in various areas of my life and found time to tackle the song once more. I put in effort, rather than being lazy. Is it the best mix ever? Nope, but it’s pretty close to the best I can do and I tried to apply that same effort to the other three songs.
I am very thankful that Andrew and others were honest about what they heard and the changes they suggested. That’s what this site is great for. If, instead, I received meaningless pats on the back for an average mix of a decent song, I likely would have put them out through sheer exhaustion and regretted (and possibly rejected) the project I have so loved being a part of.

Anyway, thank you to all of you. I will continue to drift in and out (of the forum, not of consciousness), continue to make music and continue to make changes to ensure I have time to do the things I love.
Hope you like it!

6 Likes

Love “Sometimes Things Go Bad”.
Vocals is so good, and mixed very well.
Congrats on this EP!!!

1 Like

Sounds great Dan! Cool, catchy tunes, arrangements, and sweet mixes! Well done!

1 Like

Thanks mate, and thanks again for your advice and support!

1 Like

Loving it. Good job sticking it out. There are so many things that take our energy and I appreciate the energy you have put into these songs.

1 Like

Thanks mate. This one gave me energy and motivation. I have not felt like that for a while about a project. Thanks for listening.

@danmanisa consider this (the whole EP) added to my playlist library! This is awesome! My son approves also. I just sent it over to him. I’m so glad to know you jumped back in and I’m really stoked to see what else you do in the near future :beerbanger:

2 Likes

That means a hell of a lot to me, coming from you @holster! I am honestly very humbled that you took the time to listen to it, let alone add it and share it.
I very much appreciate that. We are planning on starting a new EP soon (like, first steps next week :slight_smile: ) with a somewhat slightly different approach but I am eager to get going again!

Thanks again.

2 Likes