New/Old Prog Rock Number "Exemplar" Comes Off The Shelf For Overhaul

This is one of those tracks that has been on and off the shelf for probably around 5 years now, with one of the last additions being the lyrics-vocals. The midi drums were one of the biggest problems for me, with the originals that I wrote all those years ago sounding pretty terrible, so I just spent the last couple or 3 days re writing new drum tracks in Slate drums, along with a few other keyboard/synth parts.
I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on how the track holds up as a complete entity, or any glaring issues that may need addressing both composition and mix-wise.
Sorry in advance for the length, I hope it’s not too snore-inducing.

1 Like

Wow Terry, this sounds fabulous. Definitely works for me.

I love the inventive, punchy rhythmic stabs that open the tune.

The vocals have a LOT of personality and style, and the harmonies are superb. Some really tasteful little effects and sounds going on. I like how it walks the line between modern and classic rock sounds, without sounding too trendy or deliberately retro.

It kept my interest all the way through - definitely sounds like a complete work that came from a singular vision. Very nice mix too! No crits from me - Excellent stuff! :beerbanger::beerbanger::beerbanger:

Wow, this and my 6 am coffee is a wake up call. Love the way it goes from explosive back down to mellow. I can only make out a few of the lyrics. Love the spoken word. I am not into mixing tips unfortunately. I am old and like the guitar work in the quiet zone the best. Nice work. glad you brought it back off the shelf for us to enjoy

Paul

Really well done, nothing to bash at all here, I think the drums fit well. I might push them back in the mix a bit, they sound kind of up front to me. Nice mellow guitar work!

Hey thanks for taking the time to have a listen mate. I still think there’s probably room for improvement in places but with comments like really give me hope that just maybe it’s getting a little closer to the finish line (if that even exists):wink:

Hey thanks @feaker, I appreciate the comments buddy. Tbh if I didn’t know the lyrics they’d be a little hard to discern myself. I think all the mumble rock singers of the 90’s really rubbed off :grin:

Thanks @ingolee, I you’re probably right in regards to those drum levels. I think might have got a little excited about having half decent sounding drums after so long and over-compensated with my enthusiasm.