New music to review (will return the favor) as of Nov. 15th!

I put 2 songs in my music website, the song on top is “Lift Up Your Spirit”, and the next one down is “Better All of The Time”. Please tell me how you like the music, how it can be improved, and I can return the favor if your wish (leave me a link). Here is my link:

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=224436&content=overview

1 Like

I put 2 songs in my music website, the song on top is “Lift Up Your Spirit”, and the next one down is “Better All of The Time”. Please tell me how you like the music, how it can be improved, and I can return the favor if your wish (leave me a link). Here is my link:

Hey aaron. I like better all the time the best. It just has a vibe that I could get into. Like the guitar work or midi or whatever it is. Not sure if you play that ? I don’t have any real help again. I was 8 hours straight with a dell support lady in India. She still didn’t get it figured out. I just got this site going again. a long day for sure. Really like this one and will give you more tomorrow when rested

feaker,
Thank you for listening and replying, I appreciate it! For “Better All of The Time”, a lot of the guitar is going through a Roger Linn Design AdrenaLinn (a hardware unit), which puts beat-sync filter effects and echo delay effects on my guitar playing; it also has a simple drum machine, with the same type of effects at times. Good luck with your computer; I hate computer problems.

@aaron_aardvark I like your use of electronica and how you are able to combine it with more traditional guitar stuff. I’m less enthusiastic about your vocals, only because they have a bit too much upper mid bite to my ear (probably just me) but I’d like them better just a tad mellower. I listened to several tunes and I wondered if you ever use strings, horns, winds etc. either straight or effected to add variety? Maybe I just missed it.

But your overall approach is appealing and your listener numbers attest to that. I see you are on BandCamp, are you having success there or on Spotify as well?

Thank you for listening and commenting; I appreciate it! I get at least 99% of my song listens and downloads from soundclick: mostly because that is what I “promote”, and I have been on soundclick since 2005. In 1991, I bought a Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas and years later I bought a Korg TR-Rack; both romplers. Back then, it was more common for me to add orchestral sounds. Back when those were new, they seemed amazing. Though since then, the more expensive software plugins sound a lot more realistic, but I haven’t got into those much at all. If you wish, I could post a link or two with some of my music with more orchestral stuff, though it might sound a little dated. Though I forgot something. I have some music where I used with Native Instruments “India” (with Eastern Indian instruments and percussion) and Native Instruments “Session Horns”; that sound more realistic. Though I have only gone public with one of those songs; one with Session Horns if you want to hear that.

1 Like

I like listening to a wide variety of music, I write “classical”, jazz and pop songs as well. Realism has it’s place certainly. I mentioned horns and strings because they bring a lot of variety to a piece. But I’m mainly interested in things that are new to me at least so whatever you think might have an interesting twist to it I would like to hear.

ingolee,
OK, I posted this song here back in January. Jeremy Cubert (has collaborated with Yes singer Jon Anderson and Yes bassist/guitarist Billy Sherwood in the past) plays Chapman Stick, the drums, and the main lead synth on this song. I did everything else. This has some Native Instruments Session Horns, though the song itself isn’t very orchestral:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14184640

If you want to hear something more orchestral from probably over 10 years ago, I could post that too.

@aaron_aardvark both of these tracks are quite good. Nicely done! I like how you have blended some eclectic influences into a coherent whole. In terms of songwriting and performance, I would just say keep doing what you’re doing!

I listened to “Lift Up Your Spirit” and “Better All Of The Time” on studio monitors (a pair of original Mackie HR824’s). In terms of the mix, the vocals sound a bit high in the mix on “Lift Up Your Spirit”, and have just a bit more high-mid frequency content that I would expect. Then again, I am definitely a bit sensitive to vocals being high in the mix, and high mid frequency content. Maybe it’s PTSD from doing live sound with a stage mostly full of Shure SM57’s and SM58’s.

In terms of the vocal performance itself, it’s great. I’m getting kind of a Midnight Oil / Dead Kennedy’s vibe from the vocals. Which is totally a good thing.

All in all, nicely done!

27hourday,
Thank you for listening and replying, I appreciate it! If you have any music you want me to review, leave me a link.

1 Like

Thanks @aaron_aardvark. None right now, but possibly later…

I missed this the first time around @aaron_aardvark so thanks for reposting it. The ‘stick’ is a definitely a good feature here and you have some nice vocal effects and synth work here as well.

ingolee,
Thank you for commenting, I appreciate it!