New cool sounds from NASA

Some new way cool free downloads from the NASA site
e.g.:

2 Likes

@Chordwainer, do you have any insight as to what we actually hearing on these? It almost sounds birdlike lol

I thought it almost sounded like it was in reverse at first.

National Asstastic Sound Avengers? NASA.

@holster, those are said to be from solar winds. Some kind of particles bouncing off of a layer of the planets atmosphere, then slowed down to 1/60th of the speed at which it was captured so we can hear them.

My question is what picked up the audio?? I can not find information on what type of microphonic electric piece of machinery on the spacecraft would have captured that.

I’m genuinely curious though, as it clearly falls under the category of ‘all things audio’!!

And there’s also a sound recording of the spacecraft passing through a magnetopause??? I think is the boundary between to fields of something to do with the magnetosphere…

I have no idea what those actually are, but I sounds like someone taking a guitar amp with a built in spring reverb, turning the reverb up to 100% wet, tying a rope to the amp, then dragging it across a football field.

There is no sound in space, it’s a vacuum. :wink: So there was no microphone. My guess is that it’s based on other data such as radio waves or other electro-magnetic sources and they converted it to audio through some algorithm so: 1) the scientists could satisfy their curiosity, 2) the public could whet their appetite with “cool space sounds” (it worked on Emma didn’t it? :slightly_smiling_face:), and 3) they could create another section in their research budget for government funding (“militarily significant planetary cryptology” :crazy_face:).

1 Like

Something REALLY STRANGE… I downloaded one audio file from the NASA site -

and then, just now… when I went to check it out again on soundcloud… it was gone…

but… ever so doubly creepy… by great sleuthwork I discovered what appears to be an identical sound file from 5 years ago posted by another user…

the plot thickens…

I’m pretty sure NASA has recorded this type of data before, on previous missions. The recorded radio waves (Radio Emissions) or whatever they are would be very similar over time, though newer equipment might be slightly more sophisticated or accurate. The algorithms for translating to audio may have changed/improved too.

ahhh yes,
but why was the fresh file there for only a few hours and then… it disappeared
after I had taken my free no copyright download?

mmmysterious I say… :thinking:

There could be Saturnian undercover agents scouring planet Earth trying to control the dissemination of information about their planet. They put the rings around their planet to say “keep away”, but in typical human Captain Kirk fashion we blasted in and violated the Prime Directive anyway. Plus, we dumped our (Cassini) nuclear waste in their front yard - THAT’s what they’re really pissed about!

1 Like

Emma It is

1. something you concocted with your microphone running around the neighborhood
  2. a computer fan that needs a drop of oil

conclusion = lubrication=no more sound

1 Like

Awww… here’s me thinking of aliens and strange conspiracy theories and planetary misalignments… [giggle]
By the time I fixed my computer the other day by the way… I was absolutely delighted with the moo-ing that I had recorded. The neighbour’s cows were what-we-call “bulling” where they bellow out to any nearby bull to advise their um friendliness… it is a fleeting moment so I shall love playing with that… maybe for my first November challenge song?

:thinking::sunglasses:

1 Like

utterly amazing thought

1 Like

I found it udderly amazing, actually. :wink:

1 Like

old age will get you too some day Stan…ha ha

1 Like

“Eh, sonny?” I think it already has. My wit may still be reasonably sharp, but the rest has gone to hell in a handbasket.

1 Like

Probably him before you. What are you, twenty five?

1 Like

Paul has a youthful spirit. I’m probably a cranky old bastard. It makes a difference.

1 Like

from the article…

If you were flying above Jupiter in Juno, you probably wouldn’t hear anything. That’s because the actual observed frequencies approached 150kHz, which is too high for humans to hear. NASA slowed down the playback speed by 60 times to bring it into our hearing range.

Stan, that was a good point that I didn’t think of. I’m a tad confused about this one. How does a frequency (150khz) mean anything if the sound can’t travel?

1 Like

Well, it’s CNET and authored by Eric Mack. Eric needs to go back to college and take physics. Either he doesn’t understand what is going on, or everyone is dumbing this down for the general public. It’s the news media after all. Anybody that says you probably wouldn’t hear anything obviously doesn’t understand physics (it’s literally impossible), and tying it to the frequency is misleading, implying that the human range of hearing is responsible. It’s tantamount to saying you can’t see with your eyes what an X-Ray photo shows because your eyes are limited. Our bodies weren’t designed to fly over Jupiter and “hear” magnetic fields (nevermind there is no air in space to propagate sound waves), just as our eyes were not designed to see human bones in X-Ray fashion. There obviously have been many translations and technology responsible for these “audio files”, so the frequency makes little difference other than it’s all packaged for your amusement.

Can you “hear” a radio broadcast if you have no radio and no speaker for the sound? Of course not. You’d be oblivious that it even exists unless you have a radio with a speaker and are tuned into the specific (FCC approved) radio station broadcast frequency. That’s a flawed but profound example of what we’re talking about. Even in our atmosphere, you can’t “hear” radio waves. I suspect that the news media dumbs this stuff down to 5th grade level so Bubba can talk about it at the company water fountain tomorrow.