Need an interface recommendation

Hey guys, I took a job as a keyboard player in a corporate band to hold me over through the summer while I’m working through college. With school I have zero time to do anything in the studio (besides my schoolwork in VR audio), and my 2 other engineers are handling most other audio projects for the next couple months.

The group has a full touring rig that loads into a 24 foot box truck with a 3 person road crew. My main rig is a Yamaha Motif XS8 with MainStage and a B3/Leslie. I have a 16 space ATA rack that sits next to me on stage which I set my computer on. We have two midas consoles (one FOH, other monitors) and an extremely experienced front of house tech asked for Keys, Horns, Strings, Synths, and Misc FX on separate stereo stems. I can give him four dedicated lines from the motif for piano (stereo) and horns (stereo). But I need to find a cheap rackmountable USB interface with 8 outs, and I don’t mind buying it used. No preamps or inputs on the interface are needed for anything. Does anyone know if Behringer or anyone makes something like this? Currently using Focusrite Scarletts, but they don’t have enough i/o.

I don’t want to pull my Motu 828’s because they are needed in the studio, and they also would require firewire to thunderbolt/USB3 conversion. I also have a Presonus fire studio sitting around, but it has the same issue.

Does anyone know of a dirt cheap multi-channel converter I could snag for live use only?

The Behringer U-phoria 1820 has 8 outputs. I think it’s about the cheapest 8 output interface you can find. I got mine for $200, but I think they go for $300 now.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820--behringer-u-phoria-umc1820-usb-audio-interface

I’ve never had any reliability issues with mine.

Tascam has an interface with 8 outs as well for about the same price. I’ve never used the latest one, so I can’t give it a thumbs up or down.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US16x08--tascam-us-16x08-usb-audio-interface

Some “summer job”…
What kind of music will you be playing - and will you post videos?

S

How bad is the latency for the Behringer U-phoria? I suppose it’s not an issue for your needs Johnathan?

Just curious, but what is a “corporate band” ?

Cover band that plays private events

1 Like

Its all top 40 - Sure. :slight_smile:

That things looking really good. I saw the ADA8200 but if its only $100 difference between that and the new one, I’ll just snag U phoria.

It’s ok in the latency department. Not amazing, not terrible. Although I haven’t seen an interface recently that couldn’t do low latency fairly well. Better interfaces definitely do it better though.

The Latency on the Scarlet never bothered me. I have a pretty beefed up MacBook and can run the entire show at a 256mb buffer with no problem. I don’t imagine the U phobia would be much different than a scarlet - you think?

Can’t say enough nice things about the U-phoria interfaces. I have a smaller one, and I have to say the mic preamps are gorgeous in these things.

Cool. Uphoria it is :wink:

If you meant 256 sample buffer, then yes, you should be fine. I run mine with a 64 sample buffer with pretty much no issues unless I’m doing a bunch of bigger sample libraries.