My First New Original for a While

This one’s a beauty Andrew! I love the swampy yet tight feel of it all. Killer arrangement, and your signature sound, lots of ear candies. Nice slide, great Rhodes, cool guitar parts and your vocal is getting better and better, love the BGVs in this. Nothing much to bash. I’m listening on my PC speakers for now and it sounds great here but will have to revisit with my monitors and headphones, I’m sure I’m missing a lot.
Top job! :beerbang:

1 Like

This is an awesome song! The intro with the tremolo then slide kicks ass. Great mix too

Thanks @ptalbot - Glad you like it. I’m keen to get your thoughts after listening on a few other systems. I’m planning to revise this mix once I get finished with the current client mix I’m working on - I have a few things I want to try to improve it.

@rick78 Thanks Rick! I appreciate you taking a listen. Glad you dug it.

@Arber87 Hey Arber - Thanks for listening and commenting - oh, and welcome to IRD!

After living with this for a while, I’m going to do a revision of this mix. Lots of good clues from the comments here as to how to make this better…

…And now that I have the sub in my new space calibrated better, I’m looking forward to getting a more fulsome low end.

Going to try to get the room mics working better here - I think I have too much high end in them, and that is the major impediment to the sense of a lack of intimacy in the verses is a common theme of some of the comments.

Hopefully I can get a revised mix done before my time off work expires on Monday… Got a revision to do for a client first, though - priorities!

1 Like

I don’t have any criticism of the mix or the song, I think it sounds really good. I did find the first verse pretty depressing seeing as how I work in a warehouse. Sums up the experience pretty well lol.

1 Like

Sorry JC - I didn’t mean to depress anyone.

In a roundabout way, I guess, the song actually tries to take a positive outlook - a reminder that no matter how good or bad your job, how much or little money you make, how much or little you own, all of us are subject to the same frailties, depending on the choices we make.

No it’s cool, the place I’m at now isn’t bad at all actually. I did 6 years in a different warehouse for a different company and it was HELL. I can’t even begin to describe how bad it was, it kinda messed me up in the head for a while actually. Luckily though I found a better place. Maybe one of the only good ones as far as warehouses go. Most are pretty terrible with awful pay and constant mandatory overtime, as well as no heat or air conditioning. Anyways great song, and it’s actually nice to hear someone mention it in a song so don’t take the depressing comment the wrong way. Any song that mentions warehouse work SHOULD be depressing lol.

2 Likes

Cool man, glad you can relate! Thanks for listening - I appreciate it!

Ok guys and gals, thanks for all the help on this - here is my revised mix - let me know what you think. Cheers!

3 Likes

OK, I’ve modified my mindset on this to get over my earlier issues on the structure, and I’m buying in to what you’re doing here… :performing_arts:

Killer stuff Andrew! Amazing ear candy going on, the little bgvs you have in key phrases, the way the electric piano peeks out in just the right spots, and I have always loved that swamp feel and vibe right from the start. Even the tambourine in the last half-minute comes right through.

Yeah… I’m all in on this one. :trophy:

1 Like

Cool, thanks Dave - Glad I won you over! :sweat: :persevere: :grinning:

I just did the tambourine (and shaker) overdubs tonight - my first recordings in my new studio - Yay!
Thanks for listening and commenting, mate! :+1:

I have A/Bed with the old mix and to me this seems to have a tighter flow and of course is a less bright which feels right. Overall i say you took a good mix and pushed it to 10.5 (i am leaving you .5 because i know you will continue to find ways to push your mixing/mastering skills.)

1 Like

It’s beautiful. That chord change that really jolted me the first time through now sounds absolutely natural, and the whole arrangement is stellar. This tune has that creeper weed effect to it.
It will be great to say “I knew that dude” when you get famous and forget all us losers.

3 Likes

Thanks Eric - good to hear the changes make a difference.

I worked mainly on the drum sounds to get more contrast between the intimacy of the verses and the ‘epicness’ of the chorus- it all came down to adjusting the level of the room mics.

Now that I have my sub calibrated more to my liking, I also worked on the bass and really tightening the low end.

1 Like

Huh! As a bespectacled Stratophile once said “That’ll be the day”!

Glad it’s growing ’ on yah, Bob!

Nice one, buddy! :grin:

1 Like

I’m going to be totally unhelpful…

I love the chorus!!! It is surprising as it doesn’t really follow the song mood. Awesome!

Technically, you know how to do.

The rest is just about choices and tastes. And well, I like it.

Good job!

1 Like

I herebycrown you King of the Dad Joke.

Thanks Matty (ok if I call you that?) - glad you’re diggin it dude!

1 Like

You can call me Al :wink: Seriously, call me as you like

1 Like