My 18 year old granddaughter sent me a track...I posted a repair, but done with it now

Gracie, after starting recording at 12, has now started a little recording again. A teacher two years ago plunked her between two foreign exchange students because she was the most social of the class. Now she shares a love with a young man 4,000 miles away in Spain.
She makes her own money at quick trip, but the flight is expensive.
Anyway she recorded this short song with a cheap miniature guitar (I bought her at 12) and a fan blowing. Not sure if she is doubting her long distance relationship ?

EQ on the chunky acoustic…added two acoustic tracks and bass. Audio quality just too poor

My question can this be improved as recorded on her phone. At this point I don’t want to pressure her into something more extravagant and scare her off. I would like to send it back improved and just say I messed with it a bit

2 Likes

Wow, what a great voice. Would love to hear more.

1 Like

Hi Terry. i taught her how to play guitar ar age 12. She picked it up very quickly. In a weeks time she would be siting cross-legged singing away. She told me she wanted to make music, so i spent a grand and got her all set up. She recorded a couple songs and then totally lost interest. Sad day for gramps. This is her first song at 12.

1 Like

That’s amazing, what a talented kid, and lucky to have someone in her life who could help nurture her musical talents.
If she ever gets the urge to take it back up or do some writing, I’d definitely be into a collab.
Was just trawling through my archives of unfinished shit from years back the other day and stumbled across an acoustic tune that would be absolutely perfect with an awesome female voice over top.

2 Likes

Yeah, she would do it. Staight A student. Got the whole world in front of her. I was her surogate father. Her dad and his parents showed no love EVER. I remember when she was 10, she told me she was going to go the the other grandparents house and bring a pic of herself because they forgot to put her up on the board. Yes, she and I are very close.

2 Likes

Man that’s sad. Sounds like she’s extremely lucky to have you in her life, you’re a good dude Paul.
Hey I wrote this number back in 2012, and had a buddy throw some electric guitar over top, and he even recorded some vocals, but I was never really digging it, so it’s just been sitting on the shelf…waiting.
I always thought a female voice would be really cool over top but the opportunity never presented itself, but maybe it was just waiting for this particular moment in time, who knows.
It’s a bit rough, and could probably do with some real drums as well as a proper mix, but it’s basically a fully fleshed out track.
See what you think anyway man.

2 Likes

Yup, very well done. Sounds like Am. Like the quick chord changes. Scared me at first being of five minutes :slight_smile:
I’ll play a little game with her and not mention a third party. Start be saying something like what is the first thing that comes to mindI when hearing this track??
She will know right away it isn’t my stuff being that i only use guitars. I will then ask for a story topic. The bait will be out there. She is a free spirit, so I never know what she will do/say.
I did something similar 6 years ago. I played the song “blowing in the wind” as we did our first harmonies. She then used those chords and wrote her own version. I don’t have all the lyrics. (lost on a dead puter). I so remember the first verse tho

I’m a little daisy blowin in the wind I wish that I had a friend
Oh my my I see a butterfly. I wish that he would stop in.

Hey there butterfly, would you be my friend…could you would you be my friend

It goes on etc. I’ll get this to her in the next couple days. I know we are presently very busy.

cool tune btw

1 Like

Haha yeah, I always envisioned it fading out hence the drawn out closer, but it would be hard to come up with a proper ending.

All good Paul, and if she’s too busy or not into it that’s all good too. Just thought I’d throw it out there and see where the universe takes it.
Super excited to see where it goes if she does jump on board.
Would be great to rope in the services of @flyguitarfish if he’s keen and get some of his sweet drums in there too.
Cheers bud.

2 Likes

feaker,
I can sincerely say she can sing very well, and sounds like she’s 16-20 years old (a compliment) in the top song. She sounds younger in the second song, but still very good. I have a 23 year old daughter and any constructive criticism might be taken really hard at that age, or even a lot older. You might try experimenting with EQ and compression (u-he Presswerk is my favorite, and I have tried many). That’s my only suggestions. She plays guitar very nicely too, especially for her age.

1 Like

Hi aaron Yeah the second song she made all by herself at age 12. I will try that EQ this morning. thanks much

Hi I messed with the EQ. It is better, but I am not going further because of the mess it presents. thanks

I see where you’re coming from Paul, in trying to help her and transform a poor recording into something a little more ‘produced’, but essentially you’re trying to un-bake a cake, and we all know the outcome of that.
I like the idea of extra guitars and a bottom end, but at the same time you’ve also introduced timing issues, which is a step backwards in my opinion (and it is only my opinion).
I would just enjoy it as a cool bedroom recording, or get her to re-record on some decent gear, possibly on-grid, and then you can go to town with the production.

1 Like

Hi I shouldn’t have posted this I guess. Had to share my excitement. She has the condenser mic and set up I bought her, but really not fully into that yet.
I asked her today if she felt like doing any more recording. She said not really, I just miss my guy and I had to sing about it. Also she is getting her wisdom teeth pulled this week. Ouch.

No click track so yes timing issues. stay cool

1 Like

It’s all good man. She might pick it up again one day, but there’s obviously far more important things going on in her life at this current point in time.

1 Like

Jeeze… and she can write as well. Definitely tugs at the heart strings. Very nice. You can feel what she is singing.

The music is in her. It will come out one way or another… sooner or later. It’s great that you encourage her.

1 Like

In retrospect, I shouldn’t have messed with her origianal. It was crude. I thought by using some EQ and adding some clean acoustic tracks, the track would sound better. My timing was off and it actually detracted from her original.
From the Us to Spain is a long way to have a relationship. She told me yesterday that the song will now continue. I will visit in a few weeks and see if we can get it done right. She has a talent for this. thanks for your comments.

1 Like

I think your heart was in the right place ! The original is a gem. Audio quality is a non issue for these kind of lone singer with a guitar tracks. The vocals do the job wonderfully. Great work by her!

if you do decide to work more with her, I would advice to keep her vocals upfront, as in dont push them back (distant from the mic). This can happen when using fast compressors or certain EQ curves.
Keep the vocals strong, upclose and personal (as they were in her original recording)

2 Likes

Hi Michelle. Yeah, this was recorded, both the guitar and vocal, with her phone. She just wanted me to hear it. I know she wasn’t looking for a compliment. I had taken down all her recrording equipment and stored it up in her closet after she lost interest.
I did try to EQ the muddy guitar (cheap mini), but I stomped on the vocal too. You know of my mixing abilities. haha best to you old/young friend

1 Like

Sometimes, when it comes easily to them, they don’t ‘fight’ for it. It flows out, and then they become disinterested. Pushing them turns them off, in my experience.

Youth is it’s own experience. Long distance relationships are hard, no matter the age. Being young makes it even harder. Her voice is unmistakable in its’ presence, she has a gift (from God).

Nurturing the aspiring artist is always precarious. See what she wants, and see if you can play off of that and offer her something she is looking for (seeking).

I have an issue of production vs. intimacy. Production can do lots of great things, but intimacy can ultimately win the day. Lack of production sometimes produces miraculous results, and people connect with intimacy and ‘authenticity’.

This is an example that I have noticed for some years:

1 Like

Hi Stan Well that’s all right with me works. ya she sings off key, but, in this case with no verb, it passes the legit test. However, in my case, sour vocal notes is a huge turn off.
The interest hung in there for me because of the very different style lyrics. Being way out there myself, i get it. Thanks for your two cents ole friend. I have lost interest in making songs as of late. It might come back.

1 Like