I mixed this yesterday for some practice and to try out a few of the techniques I’ve been reading about here on the forum.These are a few of the things I tried here:
- Reverb “office space” that @Jonathan mentioned on another thread. Basically it is sending your reverbs through an early reflections only reverb to place everything in the same space. Fab Dupont tutorial somewhere where he explains it. I used the Valhalla Vintage Verb for this.
- I also use @venuestudios post here (When you face a rude awakening that you’re just not that good at mixing) as the starting place for my vocal chain. (Although I don’t have the Boz plugin, I tried something similar with mine.) Anyway, thanks for posting that!
- I clipped gained all the breaths and some of the sibilants on the vocal to tame those. I also treated the flute in the 2nd half the same, as far as de-breathing.
- The drums had tons of bleed an ambience when recorded, so I basically tried to just use that for the space. Then, before I dump the drums, the music and vocal busses into the 2-bux, I add some “Room Verb” to tie them all together. (Hopefully!)
- It is quite a sparse mix and I wasn’t sure what to do with some of the panning and did some automating to keep things separated and add some interest.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
PS. Listening back, ummm yeah, I’ll be working on the drums today…
---- edited to add link to revision below ----