Mixing is...hard

But I suspect you don’t need a schmuck like me to tell you that.

Having done the drums replacements/augmentations, I also replaced the bass work, then added another rhythm guitar part (this might have been a mistake, not sure).

Then I tried to do a quick mix. I know, there’s no such thing as a “quick” mix. It was fun though, but ultimately a bit, well, muddy.

It sounded okay in the headphones (again…I know!), and okay out of the crappy desk speakers (once again…) but once burned to audio CD not so great. Not terrible, just not very clear.

Needs more time, obvs.

1 Like

Absolutely. I’m not sure what to suggest, other than keep it at. Perseverance is the name of the game.

1 Like

Listen to me you beautiful man, you have got the talent, you have the ability, and you have the determination. If you didn’t, then you wouldn’t have gone so far only to please your friend! Quick mixes are a great way to find your place so that you can do some more work later on. It’s a framework, but unlike building a house, you can change that too. I believe in you.

1 Like

It’s tough mixing for everything. It reminds me of when I heard Shriekback’s Nemesis on a tiny speakers three decades ago. It sounded so huge, I could wait to hear it on my big home speakers. And…it sounded like crap. Kind of like Faith No More’s breakout hit, Epic:

Matt Wallace: ‘When I was at the mastering for that record, I almost started crying, because I thought it sounded so bad. I honestly called my mom and said, “How do I get into real estate, I have no idea what the hell I’m doing.” It just sounded so bad to me on my home stereo, on my car stereo, it didn’t sound good.’

Ends up it sounded pretty good on MTV, though…

1 Like

I wasn’t really after suggestions. I was just ruminating! :slight_smile:

Besides, there are SO MANY variables anyway, I’m not sure where you’d start with making suggestions for something that you’ve never actually heard.

Thanks all.

Time helps, but time and BTR helps more - post it, my dear Sir:

http://indierecordingdepot.com/c/bash-this-recording

Okay, okay! Done…!

I have been mixing 5 years and still feel like I am going backwards sometimes .Stick at it and have a couple of weeks break from time to time to refresh and re focus it helps I find.

I know exactly how you feel. I made comment on this subject elsewhere which went like… writing and recording a new song is easy compared to the mix and mastering of it. I am always on the lookout for opinion, feedback, advice, constructive criticism… however one wishes to put it. Before I found and became a member of Drooble, sourcing these skill building words was like trying to pull a tooth from a rhino’s mouth, lol, which is primarily why I don’t use FB for any of that anymore. All I can do besides handing the task over to someone who is well more qualified to do it which would more than likely, break my bank, lol, is to, practice at it and try to implement what I learn along the way.