Mixing contest

Are we having one ?there was talk of it a while ago

1 Like

Obviously not then lol

It seems like the powers that be are probably busy on something else right now. We could run a mixing challenge. Pick a song that everyone has access to, let us know and give people a week. Start a thread in the bash this section and people can post their mix in the thread allowing us to compare.

1 Like

Maybe we could use something from Cambridge

1 Like

I’m up for it. Hey takka - tag the mods directly for something like this. I’ll help in any way I can, but I’m not sure how to set it up.

@holster, @bozmillar, @Chordwainer, @ColdRoomStudio

I’ve been working a day job for a lot of hours over the summer playing keyboards in a band. So I’ve been away from the computer and on the road way more than I was a while back.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to to a mixing contest for a long time, but every time I want to, I seem to be attacked by about 10,000 other priorities. I think grabbing one off the cambridge site would be a great way to do one here. I don’t know if you need permission to use it as an official mixing contest song with prizes, but it seems like a simple way to go about doing it.

1 Like

Yes is a good i idea to use a track from Cambridge.I have just messaged Mike to check if its ok to use one

Great idea.

Definitely a good idea to do that.

I would add that it would be the right thing to do to contact the artist as well… I recently had the experience of discovering that one of my multitracks on the Cambridge site was being used for a contest over at the Reaper forum…

Now I certainly didn’t mind the track being used for a contest - I just felt it was a bit rude that they didn’t even bother to let me know.

1 Like

Mike messaged back and said it would be fine.I also asked if he would mind picking the track to make it more fair .A track with slight issues etc.Not too many issues as beginners can still take part etc

Yeah, I have a song up there as well. I figured the tracks are available, might as well let people mess with them. But it would be nice to know if they are being used as a contest somewhere.

1 Like

Andrew, were you planning on entering the next round? I’m so rusty I was considering having a go at it. I don’t think I’ve turned my mixing console on in 2 months. I could really use the practice.

Which one is yours?

But it would be nice to know if they are being used as a contest somewhere.

In the .txt file I provide with each of the multitracks I make available, I request that if they post their mixes of my tracks online, they credit my artist name and provide a link to my album page on Bandcamp.

Most people are happy to do that, and I think it is only fair, considering there is really nothing in it for me when making my tracks available for others to mix. (In fact, it is a lot of damn hard work to organise and supply the raw tracks!) A little tiny bit of exposure is a nice acknowledgement, if nothing else.

1 Like

Hey Jonathan! I’m not sure. I’ve been in record mode lately, so I haven’t done much mixing. It really depends if I like the music and if I have time available.

oh. Low Down used to be up there. I may have moved the link at some point so they took it down.

1 Like

I think this is a great idea.

1 Like

Absolutely. Any exposure and acknowledgement is a plus.

When you are ready to get the contest started, I can run it if you’d like.

1 Like

That would be great mate.You can choose the track if you want

1 Like

If Mike doesn’t choose a track, I will.

1 Like

Just choose one mate so we can set up and get started,Thanks for the help