MIX CONTEST: Enter The Haggis - 'Two Bare Hands'

Ya know, i think Takka’s on to something :slight_smile:

Sometime in the future I wonder if it would be fun to do a speed mix contest. Where contestants pre-register, clear their schedules, the raw tracks to a song no one knows in advance go up at an agreed upon time then anyone who wants in does whatever they can manage in four hours.

So say the link to the cloud is posted at 7:00pm eastern time on a specified date. Contestants are waiting with DAW up and running on standby, then as soon as the link is posted we download it and go at it.lol.

1 Like

That could be interesting. I’d lose, but it would still be interesting! :thinking:

I’m so rusty and out of shape at music production that I’m sure I’ll get my ass kicked in this competition, but I do like the song and I’m intending to take a shot at it as soon as I can scrape some time free. I haven’t mixed a serious music track in months.

Do you want to come up with the song and run the contest? We can do this contest in November.

I’d be very interested in this. Graham and Joe (Recording Revolution and Home Studio Corner) talk about this a lot. They say it’s thee piece that can take our mixes to the next level. I am SO guilty of mixing, remixing, remixing, tweaking, remixing, starting over, remixing, etc., etc.

Would love to learn to be faster.

I’ve already started working on the Haggis thing. I’m so stinkin’ SLOW. I’ve already spent prolly a couple of hours, and all I’ve accomplished is laying out the tracks and sorting though my gainstaging. I spent a lot of time editing the vocals track cuz he’s all over the place. Kissing the mic, walking away from it, yelling into it, turning around and looking away from the mic. I think I’ve got it where I want it, and have the tracks reasonably well-balanced, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

I have a template set up that I’ve loaded it into, but I’m thinking my template is too complex: too many channel plugins already loaded. Not sure it that’s the best way, cuz next I need to start unloading and re-tweaking those plugins. Maybe it’s not too much, maybe it is. So mostly in my template I only have compressors and EQs on the tracks, and then I have some default FX sends set up (1/4 delay, 1/2 delay, slapback delay, a vocal reverb, a plate and a room) but no sends yet.

I’d love to hear how you veterans set up your workflow and what your templates look like.

Bottom line, I’d LOVE to be able to do this faster. I admire the way Alan has been kicking out his cambridge mixes for bashing. So fast, and he’s getting better and better at it. I wanna learn how to do that.

So, any ideas? What do I need to do to get faster? What do you guys do? Any feedback? Thoughts?

1 Like

Just not over thinking things .Load all the tracks and hit play,get your balance more or less there, then work through processing as needed .If you dont think it needs eq or comp just leave it alone .We often do far more than needed .I never use templates that way i can just use the tools that i think will do the job .I hardly ever use group buses and use inserts for fx.Most of my mixes take around 2 hours .Lots and lots of practice helps too

2 Likes

Wow. I’m a long, long way from that. To quote Rudyard Kipling, “you’re a better man than I, Gunga Din.”

Thanks, Alan.

1 Like

Ha! Well, I guess I don’t need to start another thread then. I was ready to dive into your template and figure out your bussing , etc. But I guess I’ll just practice more instead. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So do we have a deadline in place for this contest thing?

Downloaded the tracks today. Man am I out of shape. Two and a half hours of fiddling and knob turning (because I made ALL kinds of rookie mistakes trying to where the hell my plugins were at), and I eventually limped my way to a rough mix. I can’t believe how long its been since I’ve mixed music that was made by a band! lol. When I in my prime I could have hacked this thing out in an hour!!!

1 Like

Al has posted it: October 12th (see updated Rules).

I have a question about song/mix modifications … we usually put some stipulations in there but I don’t see any other than it looks like we can’t post our mix on other sites without permission. But I’m talking about things like adding instrumental parts (probably not on this one though), adding drum samples/triggers, changing the song arrangement radically, adding song sections, etc. Basically, what things can you NOT do to this song/mix and still participate in the contest. I think the ‘live’ aspect of the track limits things a little bit, but we have some imaginative people here so you never know. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, for @BigAlRocks, I still think the Rules could be cleaned up a bit in that things like “Trust Level 1” shows up in two different and separate paragraphs (plus associated text and pointers), and in the second instance it says “10 posts” to qualify as a Level 1 member while 2 sentences after that it says “15 posts”. I just think it would help avoid some confusion if new people come in, and could cut down on the amount of text a little bit.
[Ref: The Rules paragraphs 6-7 and then 13]

I shouldn’t comment on this too much…but here’s some thoughts:

These are two different things…one is standard practice in every day mixing, the other is clearly the function of a producer or arranger. Drum samples, trigger augmentation, and trigger replacement should be fair game. I would probably recommend that adding loops are not.

I duplicated the vocal track, threw an autotune on it and added harmonies then decided against it, because in real life, that’s not the job of the mix engineer. Autotuning a vocal should be fair game (because that is part of the job), but adding background vocals probably shouldn’t.

@BigAlRocks - your call

I’d say that we should work with the files that were provided and manipulate them how you see fit.

1 Like

Right, I just thought it would be good to clarify it in the rules. For a mixing contest, you can put on the producer/arranger “hat” if you want to, if it hasn’t been ruled out in the rules. It’s just something that’s been in the guidelines in the past IMO.

I agree again, and especially on this track. The ‘live’ setting doesn’t lend itself especially well to further interpretation. Out of curiosity, how did you fare with autotuning that vocal? Did you have to gate it heavily to get rid of the background sound (bleed) so the tuner could grab onto the vocal pitch? Because of that I probably wouldn’t have even tried it.

I guess the voting scores can take care of anomalies. That’s one way to deal with it.

I need clarification on a few things:

First, my understanding is that before submitting their official entry it is perfectly acceptable, maybe even encouraged, to submit first to the BTR thread for critique, yes? I ask cuz nobody’s doing that. So it’s okay that my official submission has been unofficially bashed prior to submission, right?

Last, when we vote, 1 means a weak mix and 10 is a strong mix? Or other way around?

Yes you can

It’s early in the contest, though this one is kind of informal and no prizes listed yet, so the BTR route may not be as active as it usually is.

I believe that’s correct. It’s usually helpful to have that in the instructions, and some parameters around how points can be used. Probably 9-10 would be a top-level pro mix, 7-8 a pretty good mix with no major issues, 5-6 needs some work, etc.

1 Like

I’m gonna eventually. I don’t have mine to the place where its ready for a critique yet.

Yes, posting to BTR first is recommended, but not required. And your voting assumption is correct. (I shouldn’t have rushed myself in getting the contest started, lesson learned.)

OK, I think I have the rules cleared up. All that’s left is to come up with a prize.

1 Like