MIX CONTEST: Enter The Haggis - 'Two Bare Hands'

Song Preview

The Game
All contestants that enter the contest should begin rating mixes (http://indierecordingdepot.com/c/recording/enter-the-haggis-mix-contest) of everyone else in the contest.

When the contest ends (October 12, 2019 11:59PM Pacific US Time), We’ll grab the Top 8 entries (based on community rating) and put them in a Tournament format. #1 seed will go up against #8 seed, etc. The winner will be chosen by a committee of volunteer judges. From there we’ll move on to the Final Four, Finals, and select the winner.

When voting on each submission, 1 is the lowest score and 10 is the highest.

NOTE
The song, “Two Bare Hands” is property of Enter The Haggis and cannot be resold or retransmitted on other platforms or websites in any form without written permission from Enter The Haggis.

Here is a link to files: (http://www.mtkdata.cambridgemusictechnology.co.uk/Telefunken/EnterTheHaggis_TwoBareHands_Full.zip) after you read the rules below :wink:

The Rules
Only one chance to enter your mix. You can submit changes based on suggestions for more input, but only the first mix you enter will be judged. You should not post your entry until you’ve posted mixes to be critiqued in Bash This Recording.

Attempts to edit the first submission or attempts to enter multiple times can be seen by admins and will be disqualified.

ATTENTION! Contest Entrants: Please read before posting your entry.

Please post your mp3 by uploading it to the site player. It is as simple as dragging and dropping the file into the text area where you enter.

Please do not post your entry as a link to a 3rd party site (like Dropbox or Google Drive etc.). This is a condition of the contest, so if you have already done this, you will need to correct it to be eligible. When you edit your post to upload your mp3 in place of a link, state your reason for editing and the date of your upload. (There is provision for this in the site software). If you have any issues, contact the Mods for help.

If you cannot upload your mp3 to the site player, it is most likely because you are not yet a Trust Level 1 member. The contest rules state the following:
“You must be an Indie Recording Depot member of Trust Level 1 in order to rate mixes and enter. To become a Trust Level 1 member you must have 10 posts”

This is not a hardship - it is only 10 posts. Remember, as the rules state:
The secret to winning this contest is to score as high as you can in the mixing contest AND give as much good, friendly, and CONSTRUCTIVE help to others on as you can.

This contest is as much about participating in a community and helping others as it is about turning out a killer mix. All the best!

Mix Entries are to be submitted under the **MIX CONTEST SUBMISSIONS: Enter by clicking on “Start A New Topic” in the [Enter The Haggis Mix Contest] (http://indierecordingdepot.com/c/recording/enter-the-haggis-mix-contest)

Enter your username/nickname, a dash, and a catchy phrase. In the body below write a brief summary. No need for a book. Just talk about the direction you went, problems you had, whatever. No big deal.

Upload your 256 or 320kbps MP3 file mix entry. Note the mp3 may take several minutes to upload on a slow internet connection. Be Patient.

Attach a rating “poll” using the “build poll” function in the editor tools. Choose a “number rating” poll with a rating of 1 minimum, 10 maximum and 1 step. No need to check the “show who voted” box.

Be sure to rate other mixes and provide HELPFUL information or tips to other entries with any improvements you’d recommend (ie, does the mix translate well on your speakers? what would you change? etc)

Points based on:
how actively you participated in the contest and helped others
the quality of that participation and help
how well you ranked in the community judging of your mix and final judging results

The Secret To Winning
The secret to winning this contest is to score as high as you can in the mixing contest AND give as much good, friendly, and CONSTRUCTIVE help to others on as you can.

A person with a decent mix entry that ranks well AND has been helpful to others could win the prize.

The Prizes
Grand Prize
(Insert prize here)

The Legal Stuff
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.

Eligibility: This mix contest is open only to those who submit their mix entries at (insert url) and who are 18 year or older as of the date of entry (to be fully eligible for a prize). Contestants that are under the age of 18 may participate in the mix contest, but eligibility to win a prize would be at the desecration of the prize sponsors and must be accepted by a parent/legal guardian. The mix contest is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Rusty Frets Guitar Shop, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to win prizes in the contest. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.

Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of The Indie Recording Depot (IRD) judges as final and binding as it relates to the content of this contest.

Mix Contest Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on September 9, 2019 12:00AM Pacific US Time and ending October 12, 2019 11:59PM Pacific US Time. No entries will be accepted after ending time.

How to Enter: The contest must be entered by submitting an entry at http://indierecordingdepot.com/t/mix-contest-enter-the-haggis-two-bare-hands. The entry must fulfill all contest requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the IRD judges. You may enter only once. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of the Indie Recording Depot.

Prizes: The Grand Prize Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive (insert prize). Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize(s) shall be solely determined by (prize sponsor) and IRD. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at IRD’s or (prize sponsor)'s discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all international duties/taxes/shipping, federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.

Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.

Winner Selection and Notification: Winner(s) will be selected by a process of community vote, followed by forum judge’s final decision, under the supervision of IRD and (prize sponsor). Winner will be notified by email, telephone, etc. within five (5) days following selection of Winner. The Indie Recording Depot shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within [15 days] from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT IRD‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.

Rights Granted by You: By entering this contest (e.g., audio, photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that IRD, anyone acting on behalf of IRD, and IRD’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of IRD. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Indie Recording Depot and IK Multimedia from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which the Indie Recording Depot and IK Multimedia may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.

Terms & Conditions: The Indie Recording Depot reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond The Indie Recording Depot’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the contest. In such case, The Indie Recording Depot may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by The Indie Recording Depot. The Indie Recording Depot reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the contest or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. The Indie Recording Depot has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, The Indie Recording Depot reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless The Indie Recording Depot and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the contest and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.

Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND OREGON, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Oregon having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this contest). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.

Privacy Policy: Information submitted with an entry is subject to the Privacy Policy stated on the IRD website. To read the Privacy Policy, click here.

6 Likes

Note that I will come back and modify the post above as necessary to add links, fix typos, and other things relevant to the contest.

1 Like

Fantastic Al

Thanks Big Al!

Sweet! Looking forward to this!

May I suggest putting the preview mix in the OP?

1 Like

Here’s the link, though it will probably show up as embedded audio. Just right-click on the Play button and choose “Copy Audio Location” to paste into the OP.

1 Like

@BigAlRocks

or maybe put a link to the facebook video in the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKY-oE74Mhs

That’s a great idea. I’m open to any other suggestions for the OP and rules. I kind of rushed to get this up yesterday. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I was a little confused about the mix posting procedure. It looks like you want us to post the mix to your “Submissions” thread (that’s the link), but then it says create a new topic in the Category. I’m assuming what you mean/want is that we should create a new thread in the Enter The Haggis Mix Contest forum sub-Category. So each mix has its own thread in that mix contest category, for comments and poll ratings. Maybe its just me, but I think that could be clearer in the rules.

Yeah, I can fix that. I copy/pasted from an old contest and didn’t proofread well enough. lol

1 Like

Thanks, I think it’s much clearer now.

You may want to consider bringing that text in the Submissions thread (which you closed) where it says “no 3rd party site” over to the rules also. I don’t see that part on this thread, and that might be helpful to put it (in bold as it is now) by the “Upload your MP3 file mix entry” text (5th paragraph under The Rules). Any new people coming to the forum may need that clarified.

As to an end date for the contest, September 30th is just over 3 weeks away. I don’t know if that’s enough time, but on the other hand October 31st might be too much time. Of course you could pick some other date in between.

Depending on the goals and how you want to structure this, giving enough time is obviously helpful, yet making it kind of a driving challenge to get it done keeps the energy and interest.

Not sure if this is the right place but here is my mix.Come on people .

Per the rules and instructions, I believe you are supposed to start a new thread for your mix - this will allow for the ‘ratings’ poll and subsequent comments by people critiquing your mix. See the OP for instructions (I know it’s a lot of text, but you’ll have to read it). The thread should be in this same forum category: “Enter The Haggis Mix Contest”.

Tagging @BigAlRocks so he knows this is your mix submission and when it gets moved or reposted you are not violating the rules.

2 Likes

Dang Alan, have all the “rules” even been worked out yet?? :wink: I’m going to hit you up on another thread because the way you crank out mixes - and good ones! - I’m seriously curious about your workflow and DAW.

1 Like

Please start a new thread here with your mix submission: http://indierecordingdepot.com/c/recording/enter-the-haggis-mix-contest

1 Like

Ya know, i think Takka’s on to something :slight_smile:

Sometime in the future I wonder if it would be fun to do a speed mix contest. Where contestants pre-register, clear their schedules, the raw tracks to a song no one knows in advance go up at an agreed upon time then anyone who wants in does whatever they can manage in four hours.

So say the link to the cloud is posted at 7:00pm eastern time on a specified date. Contestants are waiting with DAW up and running on standby, then as soon as the link is posted we download it and go at it.lol.

1 Like

That could be interesting. I’d lose, but it would still be interesting! :thinking:

I’m so rusty and out of shape at music production that I’m sure I’ll get my ass kicked in this competition, but I do like the song and I’m intending to take a shot at it as soon as I can scrape some time free. I haven’t mixed a serious music track in months.