Mix by sova

I am doing these competitions for a year now. I learned few things, but still need to work on drums, vocals and use of compressors.
In this particular song I used a lot of panning and almost nothing was left in the middle so I put something back there. I found the song not needing much hall. I was fighting to get good bass level and kick sound and by putting limiter on master helped it a bit.

Looking forward to your feedback.

0 voters

Feel like the bass could use a little more high-end definition. I do like the use of the acoustic guitars that you made more prominent. At the end, things getting a little muddled. Overall a good mix.

Thank you. I am learning how to use automation, maybe it would help me clean the end. Any other idea? It took me less than 2 hour to finish. I am trying not to overmix the song.

Balances feel correct to me, but it sounds to me as if you havenā€™t used eq at all. You might try to enhance in each track some specific area so that there would be a bit more separation between instruments. So, draw a cart and decide which instruments will rule in different frequeny areas.

Yeah, automation could do the trick. Automating the levels could be a solution.

Pretty nice work there, sovaā€¦
What Iā€™m hearing is that youā€™ve made very good decisions in this mix. Levels and balance are good. Iā€™d like to hear the vocals a bit louder and maybe more Bass. But you can hear everything relatively clearly and nothing jumps out or gets lost when you listen to it ā€œas a songā€.
So very good work!
The next step is to work on enhancing the tracks ā€¦
have fun
rich

Hi, natural one, but vocalā€™s balance issue at the beginning IMHO. Pretty nice !

I would do this kind of mix before mastering session. Nice mix by the way. The dynamic range pretty ease the mastering engineer, I think. If itā€™s a mix track. Couldnā€™t say more if itā€™s a master-track level. But, good luck anyway! Cheers! :smile: :beers:

You have done well with this mix. I think that by pushing it a into the limiter/compressor on the 2bus would help to glue everything and bring the levels up. I think by pushing it like i did with yours here you can hear some issues you might not otherwise notice also it will help you to hear some cool stuff that is lost before that.

Good balances sova. (IMHO) I think you could go wider with your panning. The acoustics and feedback are out there, but if you put the electrics wide itā€™ll make more room for the lead vocal in the middle. But my main observation is that the vocals could use more compression. Iā€™m not a compression freak (I donā€™t thinkā€¦ :yum:), but it will help your lead vocal to sit on top of the track. Try 2 compressors: one with a higher ratio to catch peaks and another at maybe 3:1 to level syllables. Good work!

If you have the chance, please listen to and comment on my mix; Iā€™d appreciate it:

Mike Kā€™s Mix 2 of Personality

I canā€™t believe that this is my mix. :slight_smile: You probably did some EQ too. Can you share share what you did there? I am not confident with my mixbus processing yet, but this certainly helped. Thank you for your feedback.

1 Like

You are spot on. I didnā€™t have much time and mostly did some group eq. And it was not enough. Thank you.

It sounds very rough, not bad, but the mix has a very live quality about it.
The guitars sound nice and I do like the way the bass is set up with them . I think the drums are a bit unfocused though, thereā€™s a lot of room and that gives it a very garage feel which doesnā€™t work for me with the tight guitars.
Iā€™d recomend going back to the durms and dialng the room down and bringing up the kick and bass with the overheads, a boost in the 120 hz range might give you some punchines and a small boost at 2k could give you some snap.

The vocals are a bit uneven as well, Iā€™d recommend more compression and or automation to get them more even in the mix, especially in the chorus where they get buried a bit.
Aynyway, glad to hear your mix!

Yes i just pulled a little out at 240Hz and 500Hz, boasted some at 2.5kHz. A 4 band multiband compressor with a preset that sounded alright and a limiter. I didnā€™t spend very long on it just pushed it so that you could hear what happens when you do that. I would from here make some changes to the mix and then redo the ā€˜masteringā€™ settings.

I think Ericā€™s discovered a way to get mastering clientsā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

A few things that came to mind some mentioned above. Loudness is soft, The drums lack sparkle and a solid snap, Lastly the cybbals have no presence in the mix.

Youā€™ve done a FANTASTIC job putting this tracks together as far as levels, panning, and general balance! I feel that you need to get a little more adventurous with your EQā€™ing (especially some high end! Your mix sounds a bit dull when played against a commercial track). Overall, you have a great foundation in this mix - but it also needs a good polish to be finished, in my opinion. If you have any specific questions, Iā€™m always open to bounce some ideas off of. :slight_smile: