Mic clamps, holder for stereo pair big condensers

Mic clamps, holder for stereo pair big condensers

Hi all,
Just got 2 AKG P420 big bottle condenser type.

We’re kinda short on space, so was wondering if we can get something that can mount both as XY pair for overheads on one mic stand behind the drummer.

If you know a product that could work, I’ll appreciate some links.

All I found were pencil condenser setup for stereo pair.
I’d also appreciate pointers on mic stand that can hold these high up as OH mics.
Not very flush on cash right now so cheaper is better.

Second thing - these have spider clamp that is garbage. So looking for some kind of mounting ring that can hold better.

This is perfect but $80 each is murder

Anyone?

Prob something like this would work…

But I would would put them on the actual drums instead :wink:

Yeah, I like that one, very versatile. I have a more basic version without the swivels. The swivels could give a lot of possibilities, but mine is one piece with mounts on each end - maybe 4" apart - and works okay for X-Y and ORTF, depending on the mics.

You could use those for OH’s, but yeah usually SDC’s are more workable and plenty to capture high end transients. What do you think of those P420’s, if you’ve had a chance to use them?

Havent tried them myself, Im still kinda in the old school 414EB camp, tonewise.

But Im sure if you stuck one about a foot away from a floor tom, and one somewhere directly over a snare drum from a just a couple or three feet … I could indeed tell you if I liked them as an overhead pair.

Thats the way I like my drum mics set up.

Anything else is pretty much an ambient mic.

P420s are quite good actually, but need a few more tests. The pencil type small condensers might’ve been better as overheads but honestly my mic stands are suffering with these and there isn’t much room to place them properly around the drummer. We’ll experiment a bit more. That’s also where the idea to try and mount on one heavier duty mic stand behind the drummer might be better than what we have right now.

Got them for a bit less than $150 each, nice full round mic. It has 3 settings - cardiod, hyper cardiod and omni. Using it on cardiod so far, haven’t tested the other options.