Messing around with Active Presenter - A little video Promo

Just something I put together while finding my way around Active Presenter…

A bit of a look around the internals of mix of the song “Progress”

2 Likes

Nice one. Kind of like what I was doing with the “Under the Hood” stuff. I love watching stuff like this, although I’d personally love a bit more info in what is going on and how/why you did it.
That’s a crap-tonne of tracks too. Still, sounding nice. Excuse my ignorance but is FytaKyte you, your band or a client?
Do you plan on doing more of these kind of vids? I’d love to check em out! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks. This was just an experiment really. I had this idea quite a while ago, and I started trying to find a way to do it, but with the way my audio interface works, it was difficult to make it happen. I abandoned it for a while, and then just recently I had a lightbulb moment and managed to find a workaround… so this is the test run.

FytaKyte is my music. I have some collaborators that join me, but the music is my project. Here’s a link to the album I released in 2019:

I’ll try. I like the idea of putting together videos, but my time is very limited, and I’d rather put priority on making music. I have an idea for a “behind the song” video, but it will be more production and song focused, rather than mixing. At this point, I find most mixing videos pretty tedious.

Here’s my YouTube channel - anything I do will be posted there - there are a few other little videos I’ve put together there now: https://www.youtube.com/feed/my_videos

1 Like

Sometimes just hearing all the different elements in the mix uncovered is the best thing you can hear. For as much time as I spend making and listening to music, I’m terrible at separating elements in my head once they’re together.

2 Likes

I had this very experience in a tune we’re bashing now. Drums were just not audible but because I knew they were there and had level-balanced them with my bass, I checked the mental box. Fortunately Andrew pointed it out!

1 Like

Yeah, I had tremendous difficulty getting the audio from the screen capture working, but like you said, once you get a work around you are off and running.

I will be checking out your releases shortly. Thanks for that!

Yeah, maybe I have been describing the vids I’ve started doing incorrectly. I’m not really going into “mixing” as much as it is probably production. There’s no right or wrong way and it was really good to see how it translated without anyone speaking. I’ll also check out your YT channel this week too.
Good stuff!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what program are you using?

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed the things that you showed in your videos - how you got certain sounds and so on - that really interests me.

Personally, I was thinking of showing the iterative process of writing the song, demoing it, and the final production… demonstrating how much (or how little) songs change from conception to final mix… and just general things about how ideas develop etc. Each song has a story behind it, and I find those really interesting… almost like a video version of the “Song Exploder” podcast.

1 Like

@ColdRoomStudio I’ll check that podcast out too (somehow I am committing to checking a lot of things out here… just not sure when that will happen exactly!).

Not sure if this is of any interest to any of you (and also don’t want to take over your thread…) but I made a 15 min doco on the process and progress of a song a couple of years ago. In this case, I wrote and recorded a song for each “house” that our Primary school has. This was the first one, so I thought it would be interesting for the kids and families to see how it was done. Also, that I am not great at each instrument and that it is frustrating when you get it wrong, but that you push on and try again.
link is here should you want to have a squiz. https://youtu.be/swq_0Nv_CWc

I am using Reaper as my DAW, Camtasia (maybe version 6???) as my screen capturing software. It’s pretty old (the version I have) - picked it up for school stuff maybe 8 years ago. Does the job still though.

1 Like

That’s cool Dan! I wish we had teachers like you when I went to school! I haven’t watched it all yet - just got up to where you are recording the vocals… excellent stuff!

Reaper is actually pretty cool as a video editor. I’ve done a couple of videos editing with it - these, for example, were done completely in Reaper:

(actually the text for this one was done in Coreldraw, saved as .jpg “slides” and imported into Reaper for the editing…)

Whew! The latest version of that is pretty exxy. I’m a cheapskate these days (Spoilt by Reaper)

2 Likes

I think I got it about 8 years or more ago and with an education license to that would make it easier.

1 Like

What do you guys do to get screen captures with audio? The way I ended up doing it was to open 2 instances of reaper. One for the screen cast, and one for recording audio. I send the audio output from the screencast to ReaRoute, and into the second instance of reaper. Then I record my voice and the playback onto separate tracks in the second reaper.

I just don’t love this setup because reroute only shows up on the second instance of reaper, so I have to close my project and open it up on the second one.

As I type this out, I’m recognizing how lazy I am that I don’t even want to close and open the project to record a video.

1 Like

I used Active Pesenter for the screen capture, but as I said, I couldn’t figure out a way to get it to capture the audio at the same time… so I used Reaper’s “Save Live Output to Disc” for the audio. Worked like a charm!

1 Like

ah, I’ve never seen that. I’ll have to try it out. I use active presenter as well, and I could probably loop the playback into the output to capture it in the video file itself, but I don’t remember if it lets you export with lossless audio. The 2 instances of reaper actually works well, I just hate setting it up.

1 Like

So it took me a while to work out but I do the following:

• I set up a regular track for my voice on the session
  • Change the device preferences from ASIO to Wasapi and the audio thread priority to Normal (from ASIO default). There is a slight delay when listening to your voice through headphones when you speak, but it’s manageable.
    not sure if it’s the best way but it works for me.
2 Likes