Mean Girl - Watch it! - She might bash you!

Hi all - here’s another fine song from the pen, fingers, lungs and studio of Mr Styles B @StylesBitchley mixed by yours truly. Let me know what you think.

New mix with changes as suggested below (with thanks! :beerbang:: )

New mix with change suggested by @brianinogang

New mix with changes suggested by @AJ113

1 Like

Great song! Soulful lead vox and nice honky-tonk piano. Tasty guitar solo. Really like the harmony BGV’s too. I think it sounds really good. I’d like to hear a bit more of the piano (if there is any), the fills seemed really quick and minimal. However, it is a relatively short song, not as extensive as a Skynrd or Allman Bros album cut. There may not be room for more.

Oh, and more cowbell! :wink: (seriously, I think a little cowbell in there somewhere would be cool)

1 Like

Cool Stan, thanks for checking it out! All the piano that was played is there (and then some - one or two licks were duplicated and inserted in appropriate spots). Styles is an awesome artist, but a more humble and down-to-earth guy, you’d be hard-pressed to find…

There is actually a “Bourbon Bell” track in there - Styles never gave me any explanation as to the origin, but my guess is that it’s a Bourbon bottle being used in the role of a Cowbell… @StylesBitchley - Enlighten us???

1 Like

album credit: Jim Beam on percussion. :sunglasses:

I did hear it on another listen, at least after 2:00. It’s pretty low in the mix and I had to do squint mode to find it.

So … now I say “more bottle”! :laughing:

Styles - Was the bottle half full, or half empty? :mag:

Don’t forget to :recycle: when finished.

1 Like

All empty, I’d guess - especially if his “Mean Girl” got to it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a fifth that’s half empty, laid on its side and held 17 degrees below parallel, whacked with a wooden spoon. You have to get the booze at the right angle for proper tonality, lest it be confused with olive oil, or some other useless liquid.

1 Like

Aww C’mon man!.. This is a RecordingNerdSite - Mics, mic positions, mic pres - spill 'em all! :yum:

I went with a condenser, duct taped to a boom about 18.36 inches from the bottle off-axis. 12 inch wooden spoon, still slightly moist from the dishwasher for resonance. Used an underhanded grip on the neck of the bottle, simulating the angle of attack Oswald supposedly used from the book depository. Sorry, that may come off darker than intended. I was facing northeast, which at the time made the bourbon sparkle with a high frequency attack that would be muted later in the day.
I did use some restraint with the spoon’s application, in case I needed to retrack. (Also, as everyone surely knows, it would be sacrelegious to spill perfectly good bourbon from overzealousness).

2 Likes

Awesome… Now I’m thinking that maybe I should have put a little bit of slapback delay on it to thicken it up and make it stand out in the mix!

I was going to mention that in the mix notes. It was cheap bourbon, so it provides its’ own slapback the next day. The first delay hits you at 7 in the morning.

1 Like

There’s a song in there somewhere, Styles!

Wow, this is just dang good. love that guitar/bass riff. powerful singer The vocals remind me of the doobie brothers. Well done guys

Sincerely

paul

1 Like

Thanks Paul. Andrew knows how to make it sound like I hear it. Glad you like it. We may be old, but we aren’t done yet.

2 Likes

Thanks Paul!

Ah, I didn’t realize the genre was “math rock”. :thinking:

@ColdRoomStudio
@StylesBitchley
Ahh yay, a new Styles song - great to hear and cool production!
Gorgeous energy to the song, great rich slick vibe that I kinda expect from Styles. Some tasty piano riffs in there… I found myself hankering for a tiny bit more piano… I’m only hearing the treble piano, which is fine but with that honkytonk coolness I wondered about a little touch more raunch to it? It was just a sense I had… interesting cos through the earbuds it sounded about right but when I played it though my infinity stereo speakers, i wasn’t finding that the piano cut through quite enough for my piano-focused ears… :wink:

Now I’m having a weird audio something happening… through my earbuds all is cool rich and tasty but playing it through the stereo speakers I’m hearing a strange ‘fuzz/blur’ and I can’t figure out why. Will try putting it through my monitors later on to try to untangle my ears. I’m not understanding it, but I am highly likely to be a confused listener as I am just coming back to life following the immense intensity of producing a home-based wedding. So take my comments with a grain of salt and squeeze of lemon…

Love your music Styles, you have a gorgeous ease…

1 Like

Thank you, that means alot to me coming from you. I’ am from the school of making it fit for whatever talent I have. I wrote the idea for this in a short period of time, and then spent months working out the details. Imust have practiced that four bar solo a thousand times to get the feel right, so if it sounds easy that’s great, but it is kind of a finger twister. I know you really place yourself into your songs to get the lyrics and the emotion right, and I really strive for the same approach. My wife always thinks I’m writing about her, but I’m not. I like creating stories and characters around the guitar playing, and I hope it comes across half as effectively as your music. Thanks very much.

2 Likes

You made me chuckle with your wife thinking the song was about her… I always have people trying to match my songs with them… As I tend to collect songs from all sorts of places, I can usually disguise them pretty well… :wink:
Now I’ve downloaded the song to have a listen through my monitors - to try and elaborate on my thoughts. It is probably just a personal taste thing, but I’m finding just a little more distortion and heaps-happening in the mid ranges that just cloudy things a little for me, around the 700Hz and I’m guessing that it just makes the vocal sit a little further back and a little harder for me to hear. Once again, it’s only through the monitors that I notice it, through my headphones it sounds clear as a bell. I’m only mentioning it coz it puzzled me, the difference.

There are a heap of cool things to listen to within this song… very tasty guitar and bg vox toooooo…

1 Like

I’m sure Andrew will have one more listen. I’m too attached and always feel like the vocal is too out front. I think your brain turns up the volume when you’re listening to yourself sing.

o yep, I know that one all too well!! :blush: