Marry Me

I just started this song last night and I can’t figure out how to fix a lot of things that just are muddy, fuzzy and inconsistent and so on. I would for some help on what you hear that would help me shape this a little better. Note to self, don’t record vocals on the 4th of July, in the evening. Thank you to anyone who helps.

James

4 Likes

Just listening on cruddy work speakers, but it sound great so far… I can hear it going into a bridge of some kind at this point in the song. Nice!

1 Like

wow so clean. your singer is so good. Simple stuff saturated sap. Like to hear one of those “marry me” sung souding a little choked up and edgy???I love it/feel it. cudo’s to you with new stuff. Can’t wait for the conclusion. Just thinkin yesterday of the lack of original new stuff on this site. So refreshing. Enhanced by my 5 o’clock coffee in hand.

1 Like

Thank you Andrew. I should of said the song was for a video. I definitely hear a change in there. I know the singing is all over the place for sound quality and pitch. I was hoping to get some kind of input to improve the sound quality.

Thank you Paul, saturated sap is awesome, its up there with “chick flick”.

Sounds great so far, love it. As @ColdRoomStudio alluded to, it feels like it needs a change up where it currently ends. Would love to hear this fleshed out into something a little more complete.
Could maybe exaggerate the depth of those toms in the 2nd chorus a bit more too. Give them a larger than life feel heading into the bridge you’re about to write :wink:
Vocals sound excellent btw, really good stuff.

1 Like

Thanks Terry, I agree with the toms, i thought that the moment I listen to it the next day. The reason it was cut short is that I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is stuck in Brazil. I asked strangers to hold a sign that asks me to marry her. I spent the day asking people and I only had so many photos. So the song was shorter to match the length of the video. Attaches is the video I think, not sure how to add a video here.

5 Likes

The song reminds me of some other song by a noted artist, but I can’t recall it at this point. It sounds very genuine/authentic. This story makes it ever so much compelling. May you and Valeria always be together at some point, such a compelling love story.

2 Likes

Thank you Stan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a cool story to go along with that sweet track James, it’s heartwarming to see there are still romantics left in this world.
Please, please tell me she said yes.

She said yes. The last line of the last chorus is “You will marry me” so she didn’t have the option. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s awesome James, congrats.

1 Like

Hi James, this is an irresistible story and wonderfully romantic. Yes, the vocals do sound a little fuzzy but the only way I can listen at the moment is through my computer so it’s hard to be precise. Am wondering how you have processed the vox, although what you have done, works perfectly well within the context - for me, the words/message totally overrides any technical issues :sunglasses:

But I can see that a little more vocal clarity could work really well, just to draw the listener in a little. Are you using parallel compression on the vox? Playing with that can allow it to cut through a little more. I’d also play with the eq on the instrumentation, just carving a little more space for the vocal. I sometimes automate this but more often just carve an eq space in the frequencies where I would like my vocal to shine through. A heap of fiddle but really can be fun to explore.

I enjoyed this, thanks!

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Congrats!! :beerbanger:

2 Likes

Great stuff, James!

Awesome! Congrats!

1 Like

Lots of nice emotion built into this, I’m happy it worked out! The only thing I’d suggest is to get a little more presence on the vocal; it would be great to hear it out front a bit more, but more of an eq thing than volume. Now that she said yes, you have more verses to write.

1 Like

It is a simple song, James, and because of that your vocals already are plenty understandable. That is above all else most important for a song with such an important romantic purpose. The melody was apropos for message, and I felt you sounded totally authentic.

The length was good in my opinion. Didn’t get off track or carried away, and that can be a musical temptation!

All that being said, I agree that you could fiddle with the eq of the vocals and instruments and see if you could take a smidge of the fuzziness off the vocals, but if you do too much I’m afraid you might lose something you already have going strong.

1 Like