Making the Bass Frequencies Mono Mastering

I don’t know, check this is a reference.

BTO is one of my all time least favorite bands. Pretty much my personal hell right there, at least for rock music.

The Guess Who?

Different story, I like them a lot. Much more interesting material and the great Burton Cummings vocal sound. I’m aware that Randy Bachman was in the GW. I just always found BTO’s stuff to be interminably boring, lyrically and musically.

BTO is miles ahead of Grand Funk Railroad

Side question

What is normally done with double kick drums? They usually mono or what?

No argument there! But that’s a bar set waaaaaaaaaaay low. :grin:

1 Like

I don’t think there’d be any reason to treat them differently in this respect. They’re still occupying the part of the frequency spectrum we’re talking about…

this is what im asking lol. they usually mono?

i saw BTO twice. once they opened for VHalen. The other time was in this small club in N.J. I started throwing money on stage and Randy B stopped playing to pick it up lol. He stuck it down in his shirt. Then I threw a $20 and he says “The denomonations are getting bigger”

I was “with” this girl and I put her up on stage and she danced with Randy lol. Oh to be young again

I don’t know the answer to that, I am merely speculating that anyone who would sum low freqs to mono would make no distinction between a single or double kick drum when choosing whether to sum low freqs to mono.

I just wondered because there are tons of double kick metal bands out there etc. I have a few double kick drum kits in EZD2 but I havent used them much

I use Mongoose too, to find the cross over point i throw Ozone Multiband on it in learn mode then solo the low end and take a listen, tweak if needed which gives me the ideal cross over point for Mongoose which takes care of the rest. Certainly gives the mix a nice defined low end… that’s what i do anyhow, ends up on all my mixes these days

FYI the video looks a little it gimmicky to me. OK, it shows a definite improvement when a bass guitar and a normal guitar are panned hard left and right, but virtually nobody ever does that. If it’s being promoted as a final insertion plugin in the mixing/mastering chain, I would expect to hear some A/B mix/master examples (loudness adjusted) to show the improvements it will bring. I didn’t see anything in the video that made me want to rush out and buy the plugin.

I didn’t post that video as an ad to make you want to buy the plugin. I posted it to show what effect panning low frequencies has, especially on headphones, and why pouring them in the center sounds better.

Boz Digital Labs Presents Mongoose. Isn’t that the video’s title?

You are not my target market.

I was listening to that video on some computer speakers, and I could definitely tell a difference. Mongoose definitely works for the better when extreme panning.

Personally, that’s why I like it. Rather than making things more narrow (which technically is what it’s doing) it makes it so I can actually pan things wider without the negative side effect. At least that’s why I like to sum the low end to mono.