Make It With You, 1970, Bread

Make It With You, by the Bread.

“Make It with You” is a song written by David Gates and originally recorded by the pop-rock group Bread, of which Gates was a member. Gates and drummer Mike Botts are the only members of the group to appear on the recording which was a #1 hit in 1970.

Pray for Peace in our world!!!

1 Like

Hi Rene, sounds like you’re trying something a little different with the stereo field here… definitely a better sense of space. However the distortion is back again. Nice performance.

PS: I can’t resist doing a little callout to @Chordwainer Dave here… You’ve just covered his favorite band… I know he’ll LOVE this! :joy:

1 Like

Hi CRS,
Thanks for the notice on recording. This is actually a previous recording, and I do have a new recording set-up, which covers the distortion issue.
Calling to our co-Bread fanbase, Dave. Hope you like this song, and version.
I love the Bread!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

Haha, sorry Rene - I was being very ironic… just trying to get a rise out of Dave. Dave once described having to listen to Bread as his “own personal hell”… or words to that effect… each to his own!

2 Likes

Thanks for the memory Andrew! And yes Rene, he definitely had tongue firmly in cheek there. I was on a weekend getaway with some friends in the early 70s, and the only music available was a “best of Bread” album that got played continuously for three straight days. Traumatized for life, I’m afraid.

Sorry I haven’t been around much… my work life took on an entirely different trajectory recently, ripple effects abound… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great to hear from you, Sir! I hope you’re not too busy to have the occasional strum on your geetar…

1 Like

Hi Dave,
I am so glad to meet you in this forum, and sorry to hear about the beautiful trauma. That historic experience probably changed your whole musical shape and being.
Thanks for the kind reply, Andrew is happily merry with your presence.
Respectfully,
Rene

2 Likes

Good stuff. congrats I’m not into covers, but this done well. Very few times do I listen thru computer speakers. I looked over and saw my headphones ten feet away, but I was soooo comfortable in my lazy boy…
I am hearing your voice very prominent on the left side. Picture me holding up the laptop and checking each side. That second chord in the intro was working I guess, but sounded a little off. You used a different formation down by the first fret as the song went along and it sounded good.
Just a couple questions? Have you done these recently? Are you making new tracks now? Just curious. I will say a video makes the song much more interesting.
There was day where i would enjoy pretty ladies dancing in the background like hewey Lewis, but not that I am old I prefer the guitars. cheers

1 Like

Hi feaker,
Thanks for the wonderful comments, and great feedback.
This is actually an older recording which I had issues with one-side only output, and a few distortion issues as well.
I had changed my recording set-up since then, and I am ok for now.
Thanks for noticing the discrepancies on this video.
I am kinda new to this techy recording stuff, and I am trying to keep my set-up as simple as possible. I also do not know how to create the video compositions as of yet. Maybe I do, but just lazy and lack more time. So my set-up at this time, is like a folksinger in a chair, with an acoustic set-up.
My daughter got me into getting my recording set-up 2 years ago, and I am enjoying each step in this journey.
Also, at this time, I am focused more on creating my original songs, and trying to build my originals library, which can really take a lot of time. I am slowly acquiring some additional skills here and there, which is always a good thing.
You can still teracrh an old dog new tricks once in a while.
Thanks for your wonderful feedback and enjoyable conversation.
Respectfully,
Rene

1 Like

Well I never cared for this song but it is well put together and your arrangement and performance are very good and helped me to appreciate what this song has to offer. I think your mics are good quality but your sound is not good here and the balance is off too. I know you can do better, how about a redo? One of the great things about this forum is that when we get some good suggestions we can try them out in front of a very picky but friendly audience.

2 Likes

I’m actually playing very regularly, just haven’t done anything in the studio for some while (including failing to come up with a 12-string part for Bob after volunteering to take a hack at it… total fail). Been doing one-take solo guitar versions of tunes and live streaming every so often on Youtube, and it’s fair to say I’m in the best performing shape of my life. If you search YT on my name and the word “guitar” you can find my channel :slight_smile: - Gotta have “guitar” in there, otherwise you’ll land on my namesake bodybuilder, who recently passed away. OK, enough hijacking Rene’s thread. Carry on!

3 Likes

I will have to agree with you ingolee.
A re-do will have to be in order for this song, and maybe having a twist in my guitar playing, to make it a different sounding Bread song.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback.
Respectfully,
Rene

Don’t worry about it Dave, there will be more chances.

1 Like